Chapter 1 ..:.. Three Years After

‘The Key’ --->

-&-

Chapter 1- Three years after.

-&-

“Good Night, Good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow." Whispered Aaron, quoting William Shakespeare. I smiled.

“You are so sweet, my love.” I whispered into his chest. He’s arms were around me in a second, cradling me like I was a fragile doll that might break at any second. I was only wearing my nightdress, covered by my nightgown. Aaron smiled when he saw me enter, and kissed my cheeks when they reddened.

Only he and I had access to the secret chamber we were currently in. Aaron had presented me with the special fitted key on my 17th birthday.

“Tempt not a desperate man.” Aaron smiled, kissing my cheek, softly and tenderly. “You will be the death of me Riella.”

I smiled. “I hope not. Who will care for me like you have?” I teased, brushing my index finger over his lips. Aaron took my hand in his, entwining our fingers together.

“I love you Riella.”

“As I you.” I smile as he brushes his lips across mine.

-&-

The next morning, I awoke to the sun gleaming in from my open window, the small fire in the grate taming the chill. My dresser, Jeanette, was rummaging through my closet. She was humming to herself, ‘aha’-ing when she found the outfit she liked.

She quietly pulled the dress out, tucking a petticoat and bloomers under her arm, and laying them on my bed.

“Good morning Jeanette.” Jeanette jumped, dropping my velvet shoes.

“Lady Rodriquez. I am sorry if I disturbed you slumber.” I waved her off, smiling.

“You needn’t apologise. I say it is time I arise anyhow. Is that my dress for today?” Jeanette smiled.

“Yes Lady Rodriquez. Prince Aaron requested you wear it. Says you look wonderfully beautiful in it.” Jeanette winked, turning her back to me and started to arrange my perfumes and jewellery. Jeanette Curlin was the only person to know about my romance with Aaron. She caught me in my arms and confronted me about it.

My sister is the only person to know. She had her suspicions for some time, and when I was bursting to tell someone, I turned to her. She thought the whole secrecy was so romantic.

I slipped myself out of the bed and started to untie my nightdress. I thimble fingers had trouble with Jeanette’s tie, and eventually Jeanette pulled the strings easily.

“Thank you Jeanette.”

“No need. Now, let’s get you all pretty for the prince. He told me he has a surprise for you out in your secret garden. You must promise to share your sinister secrets afterwards.”

I laughed. “I promise on thy Queen’s life I will share my ‘sinister’ secrets with you.” Jeanette giggled along with me, slipping my bloomers on and tightening my corset. As she started to slip on the dress, there was a small knock on the door.

“Please wait a moment.” I called out, slipping behind the closet door. Jeanette opened the door slightly, peering out.       

“You do realise it is not acceptable to knock on a Lady’s door during the morning. Lady Rodriquez is unacquainted.” Jeanette scolded, defending my honour. I had to cover my mouth to stop the giggles. I guessed it was Aaron, seeing as it was just like him to disrespect a Lady’s time. Especially mine.