Chapter 3 ..:.. Life

-&-

Life

-A week later.

-&-

The days dragged by at the French Court. Aaron continually knocked on my door every morning, trying to talk to me. I was lucky to have Jeanette, as she would barricade the door, locking me inside whenever she had to leave.

I stayed in bed for most of the days, with Triella and Peter visiting me occasionally. I never saw Aaron, which relieved me.

It had been almost a week since the incident, which meant that Princess Anne would be arriving today, along with her parents, King Xavier and Queen Rosane, and half the English Court. The French Queen had requested everyone come for the arrival, (including the ‘sick’ me) which is where Aaron was to propose to her.

“Wake up Lady Rodriguez. You have to get ready for the princesses arrival.” I left my eyes closed, not wanting to leave my dream world. “Come on Miss. We have to get you pretty for today’s celebrations.”  

I sighed, pushing the covers down and slipping out of bed. Lattie immediately started undressing me, helping me into a beautiful emerald green dress, with lace up and down the sleeves. She pinned my hair up in a braided bun and patted my cheeks with powder. She giggled in delight as she reached into my jewellery. “Miss, you’ll never guess what I found on your floor. It’s the most beautiful necklace I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been waiting for the perfect dress to match it with. I think I just found it.”

I laughed. What necklace would I leave on the ground?

Lattie clasped the necklace together slowly, fixing the tangled chain. I opened my eyes and gasped. It was the black heart that I’d thrown away. I thought I threw away. “Get this off me Lattie.” I choked out. Lattie gasped, struggling to unclip the necklace without choking me. I adjusted my hair and turned to Lattie. “I don’t think I’m going to wear any jewellery today Lattie. In fact, I think you’ve dressed me up perfectly.”

Lattie nodded silently, frightened by my sudden outburst. She watched me walk back over to the jewellery box and lift the necklace with my index finger.

“Lattie. You are to take this necklace to Jeanette, and tell I want it sent back to where it came from. Don’t let anyone see it, wrap it in cloth. Quickly. I’m going to head down to the hall.”

Lattie nodded, scurrying off to find Jeanette. I sighed, sitting back on my bed. Why was he haunting me in every way possible?

There was a small tap at the door. “That was quick Lattie. I thought you’d be trying to convince Jeanette you didn’t steal it!” Lattie didn’t answer, so I went over to the door. “How many times to I have to tell you Lattie, you don’t need my permission to come ins-“

Aaron was standing at my door.

“What are you doing here? You should not be here. How dare you show me your face?”  I demanded, outraged.

“Please Riella we need to talk.”

“Why? You lied to my face, saying you had no idea what was happening, and swore an oath. In fact, we don’t need to speak, because I know every word coming out of your mouth will be a lie. You lied to my face and broke my heart in doing so.”

His eyes flashed with anger. “Don’t you dare speak to me like that. Do you know who I am?”

I snorted, a very unladylike thing indeed. “Yes. Your an arrogant pig who lies and lies and lies to young ladies. I don’t really care if your a prince, because you do not act like one.”

Aaron sighed, rubbing his forehead with his palm. “You don’t think I tried stopping this? Do you think I want to marry a girl who I don’t know let alone love?”

“You could have stopped this by marrying me. Or anyone at this court for that matter. I would have understood, but this is also your decision. Your mother said so yourself that we would not go to war if you broke off the marriage. You lost me when you did nothing.”

“ I wish there was something I could do to make you believe me again. See these roses? They signify my love. I wanted you to feel them every day. ”

I grabbed the roses and threw them out the window. Aaron looked shocked. “Not anymore. This is over. I never should have started anything with you. Four years ago, I should have thought about the future. Now look where we are.”

“What can I do Riella?” He pleaded.

“Call this off.” I stopped, looking him dead in the eye.

What? Are you crazy? I cannot call off a royal marriage, the day the bride arrives with half of her subjects!”

“No, I am not crazy! You asked me what can you do? How you can yourself? Call it off, in front of everyone here today, in front of our people and hers and confess everything we’ve done. Stop the wedding, and tell me you love me.”

Aaron hesitated, but I didn’t back down.

“I don’t know.”

“Please Aaron. You know how I feel, I just need to know how you do.”

“Riella, I don’t know how you feel. You’ve never told me.”

I sighed. “I never told you because deep down I knew this day would come. And you knew it too.”

Aaron sighed, running his hand through his brown hair. His eyes bored into mine. I refused to look away.

“Fine, I’ll do it.

-&-

We all stood in our lines in the throne room, with the King and Queen of England standing up the front with their daughter. Anne was beautiful, with her straight black hair, grey eyes and pale skin. She had gotten all her best features from her parents, though looked more like her mother. Even I was staring at her in awe.

The crowd fell silent as The Queen and Aaron stepped out. It suddenly dawned on me that I had been in this throne room more this week then ever.

Aaron walked up to Anne, smiling nervously. He was staring at her too, her pale cream dress bring out her dark hair and eyes. He knelt on his knee, holding up a box.

“Princess Anne Rosane Courture of England, would please do me and all of France the honour in marrying me?”

My heart stopped.

“I, Princess Anne Rosane Courture, accept your offer of marriage.” The crowd cheered, except for me. He kissed her hand and smiled up at her, like he did with me.

My heart stopped beating for Aaron that second.

-&-

“Riella. I’ve been looking for you. You left as soon as you were allowed to go. It’s taken me forever to find you.” Aaron smiled at me. I didn’t respond. “You look beautiful, as always.”

“You did it. You asked for her hand.” He went to cup my cheek, but I pulled away. He looked hurt.

“I had to. You know that. I didn’t have a choice.”

“Everyone has a choice Aaron. You lied to me again, saying you would. I know I am sounding selfish, though true love is supposed to concur all.”

“We can still be together.”

“No.” I said harshly. “I will not become a mistress. Especially not yours.”

Please vote, comment and share. :)