Chapter 1: First Aid

~Zuri's POV~

 Zuri woke up to a screeching noise. It took her a few seconds to get her eyes adjusted to the blinding sunlight. Her bunkmate, Tiffany, was practicing her violin, like always. Except this time, it was louder than usual.

 "Rise and shine, Zuri! Wow, you're a late sleeper." Tiffany chuckled, tapping her nails on the violin bow.

 "I must've not slept long enough." Zuri buried her face in her pillow. "How much longer are you going to practice? I'm gonna go deaf before you stop."

Tiffany paused, releasing a small sigh. "It's not like you're going to sleep the whole day, right? Plus, my violin playing isn't that bad."

 Zuri rolled her eyes sarcastically. "Sure.."

"Hey, Zuri! Wanna play dodgeball with some of the other campers?" Emma shouted from outside.

 "Yeah, hold on, I'm coming!" Zuri tied her shoes quickly. She never liked missing out on the outdoor games the campers played.

Zuri walked outside, saying a few hellos to the other campers as she joined Emma and Lou on one side of the lawn. Xander, Ravi, and Jorge stood on the other side.

"So, Zuri finally decided to wake up? It's about time." Xander laughed.

"Chill, it's Saturday. We wake up early on any other day." Emma giggled.

Zuri looked over at Emma. She was in an eye-lock with Xander, which wasn't really surprising. They had always been the clingy kind of couple.

The way their eyes locked was so warm, so perfect. Zuri wondered if she'd ever find someone to lock eyes with. She doubted it, considering she was always getting into trouble.

"Let's get started!" Jorge shouted, throwing the dodgeball around. "Girls against boys. Perfect."

Jorge threw the ball at Lou, but missed. Emma picked up the ball and threw it at Ravi, hitting him in the chest instantly.

"One point for the girls already! You're out, Ravi!" Emma exclaimed, high-fiving the rest of the girls.

"Ha, don't give your hopes up yet. We can still win this." Jorge passed the ball to Xander, who decided to target Lou. She almost dodged, but the ball hit her in the leg.

Lou glared at Xander and headed to the bench beside Ravi.

"One point for us!" Xander and Jorge smiled widely, preparing to dodge.

Emma threw the ball at Xander within a split second, successfully hitting him.

"Ouch, I thought you loved me?" Xander rolled his eyes playfully and headed to the bench. At least he was being a good sport.

Now, it was up to Emma and Zuri.

"Get ready," Emma whispered. "Jorge is skilled at this game."

Jorge took glances at both girls before deciding on Zuri.

Zuri dodged the ball easily, until she felt her feet slip from underneath. She failed to control her balance, ultimately hitting her head on the ground.

Everyone gasped in awe, some walking closer to make sure Zuri was okay.

"Oh my god. Zuri, are you okay?" Emma kneeled down, rubbing Zuri's head gently in an attempt to make the pain ease.

 "Yeah, I'm fine.." Zuri mumbled. She didn't feel like getting up; she needed to lie down for a while. 

Zuri looked over to the side, spotting a boy running to her in the distance. His face became clearer as he ran closer to her. She definitely didn't want Griff to see her in this state, but what could she do?

"Zuri, are you sure you're okay?" Griff placed his hand on Zuri's forehead before hurrying to his cabin. "Hold on, I'll be right back."

Griff returned a few seconds later with a damp washrag and pressed it against Zuri's forehead. She felt herself smiling as she closed her eyes, feeling her headache ease.

~Griff's POV~

To say Griff was worried about Zuri would be an understatement.

She stopped talking and closed her eyes.

Griff sighed shakily and stood back up. He turned around to see everyone staring at them.

 "What are you guys looking at?" Griff huffed, turning his back to everyone else. Despite everyone's eyes on him, he didn't stop staring at Zuri.

Griff didn't even realize how long he had been staring until Xander snapped him out of his daze.

"Bro, take it easy. Everyone's staring."

Griff's face turned red instantly. "O-Oh, right. Um.. can you guys make sure Zuri's okay? I uh.. gotta go. Yeah, bye." He ran back to his cabin, mentally slapping himself in the face.

What was he even doing?

Griff paced back and forth. He was way too embarassed to go back outside.

His mind kept coming back to Zuri, and the way she smiled when he took care of her. A small peek through the window wouldn't hurt, right?

Zuri's curly brown hair matched her glowing brown eyes, and her cheeks were tinted with just a little bit of blush. She didn't wear a lot of makeup, and Griff liked it that way.

But what was he even thinking? It wasn't like Zuri felt the same way.

-----------

A/N

Hey readers! It's currently June 30, 2017 and I just finished re-editing this chapter. I hope you enjoy the newer version. I apologize in advance for any mistakes, it's almost 1 AM here lol.