Chapter 6: The Fake Emergency

~Griff's POV~

The next day, 9:45 AM

"Wake up, Griff! If you don't open your eyes, I'm gonna pull the classic shaving cream beard prank on you." Luke laughed, shaking Griff.

"I'm up, I'm up.." Griff sat up straight and rubbed his eyes.

"Griff, you know I could tease you forever, right?" Luke chuckled.

"Why would you wanna do that?" Griff asked.

"Dude, you kept mumbling Zuri's name in your sleep." Luke burst out laughing. Griff's face turned bright red.

"Sorry, I tend to sleeptalk." Griff avoided eye contact.

"It was pretty loud." Luke laughed.

"No one else heard though.. right?" Griff asked, crossing his fingers.

"Nah, probably not."

Griff blushed. "Please, please, pleeeaaasseeee don't tease me for this in front of everyone."

"Hmph, fine. Way to suck the fun out of it," Luke chuckled, then a wide grin grew on his face. "You've got a huge thing for my sister, don't you?"

Griff remained silent.

"Hehe." Luke nudged Griff. "Let's go have an adventure."

"Really? Where?" Griff looked back up at Luke.

"You'll see." Luke's wide grin came back.

~Zuri's POV~

"Hey, Zuri. Wanna go on an adventure?" Luke asked, standing in the Woodchuck cabin doorway.

"Sure! No one else is going.. right?" Zuri asked.

"Nah." Luke lied, trying to hide his massive grin. "C'mon, let's go."

Zuri wandered through the woods, trying to keep up with Luke.

"Luke, where are we going?" Zuri asked, making her way through the thorny bushes.

"You'll see." Luke chuckled.

They eventually spotted the DANGER sign that he had went past with Griff and Zuri. Griff waited by the sign, instantly spotting Zuri.

"Luke, you said no one else was going!!" Zuri elbow-punched him in the chest. "What is wrong with you?!"

Luke rubbed his chest. "Look, I know you're mad but c'mon, let's have fun!"

Zuri rolled her eyes. "You're going to get us killed this time!"

"Impossible, we're attached to the top of the mountain with a rope." Luke pointed to the rope, hanging from the mountain.

"How did you do that-" Zuri started, then ran over to the rope and attached
one to her waist, the others following.

They soon walked to the place Zuri had almost fell off of and Griff had grabbed her hand..

As Zuri attempted to reclimb the same rock without falling, she looked back at Griff, and for the first time in a while, she smiled comfortably.

Once they made it to the top of the mountain, Luke searched through his backpack. "I packed water bottles."

"Great, I really need water right now." Zuri said, beads of sweat forming on her forehead.

"Wait-ugh. I only have two bottles, looks like you two have to share." Luke fake-sighed, then grinned at Griff.

Griff shot him a I-hate-you-so-much-right-now look.

"But I did bring three straws, so you two can just stick your straws in the same bottle." Luke tossed the bottle of water to Griff.

The two of them stuffed their straws into it and drank it.

Suddenly, Luke imitated a beep noise.

"Oh, gotta take this. Hello? It's an emergency?!? Okay, I'm on my way." Luke fake-hung up. "Guys, I uh.. gotta go, bye."

"Wait what-" Griff started, but Luke was already getting down the mountain as fast as he could.

"Luke, don't leave us up here!" Zuri screamed, and immediately panicked.

"It's okay, Zuri. I'll make sure we get down safely." Griff said, looking over at her.

Zuri took a deep breath. "Okay."

"Okay." Griff repeated.

"Okay.." Zuri stood up and looked down at the steep climb down. "Ugh, we're going to die."

"No, we're not. Trust me, Zuri." Griff stood up and faced her.

"Okay.." Zuri blushed noticeably.

~Griff's POV~

Griff looked into Zuri's eyes. She was worried- but he realized she looked beautiful no matter what mood she was in.

He suddenly reached out and grabbed Zuri's hand. He thought she'd pull away instantly. But she didn't.

It seemed as if time froze as they leaned in closer and closer until-

"ZURI! GRIFF?! Where are you two?!" shouted Emma. "You guys are in so much trouble!!"

"We um.. better go," Griff muttered.

"Yeah." Zuri followed Griff down the mountain.

"Griff?" Zuri asked, making her way down the steep rock.

"Yeah?"

"Can I um.. can I hold on to you so I don't fall?"

"Sure."

They made their way down the mountain slowly, Zuri holding on to Griff the whole way down.

When they got down, Zuri let go of Griff and brushed dirt off her shirt.

"You okay?" Griff asked, handing Zuri their water bottle.

"Yeah, I'm fine. We have to go kill Luke." Zuri gave Griff a devilish grin.

Griff nodded. "But first, we gotta explain to Emma."

"Wait- if we tell Emma that Luke left us on the mountain, he's not gonna be allowed to come back.." Zuri started worrying again.

"Don't worry." Griff said. "Everything's gonna be fine."

"Okay.." Zuri mumbled, then did something Griff wasn't expecting.
She pulled him in close and hugged him.
"Thanks for being there for me, Griff."
"Any time." Griff smiled, and hugged her back.
"We have to find Emma now." Zuri shrugged.
"Yep, don't worry. I'll explain." Griff smiled, and led Zuri back to her cabin.