Chapter 2: In The Rain

Griff just sat there, watching Zuri. It felt like she had been the only person on his mind lately. Once he finally decided to turn around, Xander was standing behind him with a smirk plastered on his face.

 "Uh- how long have you been in here, Xander?"

 Xander ignored the question. "You've got a thing for Zuri, don't you?"

Griff shook his head frantically. "No, you have the wrong idea! It's just friendship! Just friendsh-"

"We both know that's not true."

Xander kept persisting until Griff couldn't take it anymore. He broke into a slight grin, unable to control his feelings.

"Go for it, bro."

"It's not that easy."

"How is it not easy?"

"It's just.. not."

"Why not?"

"Because.." Griff frowned. He needed a good excuse. At least, an excuse good enough to make Xander change the subject.

"You guys need to get back out here! Zuri's playing dodgeball again, and we need one more guy for the boys' team." Jorge peeked his head through the door, crossing his arms.

  Griff stood up sheepishly and headed to the bathroom, avoiding eye contact. "Xander will play."

 "Oh, no no no. Griff will play, won't you?"

 "Stop, I don't want to." Griff mouthed the words, but Xander ignored him. Great.

 Xander started for the door. "You can't just stay indoors. It is summer, after all."

 There was only one way out of this situation, and Griff was not looking forward to it.

"Fine, I'll play."

---

"Are you sure your head is okay now?" Lou asked worriedly.

Zuri nodded for what seemed like the millionth time. "I wouldn't lie. I'm perfectly fine."

A movement in the corner of her eye caught her attention. Griff had finally decided to come out of his cabin and interact with everyone else. It was about time.

Griff kept his gaze on the ground below as he joined the rest of the boys on the other side.

"Alright, let's get this game started!" Lou threw the ball at Jorge.

"The game just started! Seriously?!" Jorge pouted, stomping to the bench childishly.

Lou couldn't conceal her laughter. "Sorry, Jorge!"

Ravi grabbed the ball and threw it at Emma, but it looked more like he was targeting the sky.

Emma rolled her eyes and grabbed the ball.

"Zuri, it's your turn."

"You go."

 "Fine."

Emma threw the ball at Ravi, hitting him instantly. He headed to the bench, accepting his defeat.

"Well well well, we have one more guy to defeat."

 Zuri wasn't even focused on the game. She was too busy gazing into... wait, what was she even gazing at?

Zuri, it's your turn.

Emma forced the ball into Zuri's hands. "Are you deaf? It's your turn."