Chapter 9: Leaving Camp

~Zuri's POV~

"Zuri, Zuuurriiii?"

Zuri woke up to a familar voice.

"What do you want, Emma?" Zuri said in a rather harsh tone.

"You've been sleeping a really long time. Wake up already." Emma giggled.

"Ugh." Zuri mumbled.

Emma grabbed Zuri's wrist. "C'mon, let's go."

Half asleep, Zuri followed Emma past the lawn.

"Why are we going past the lawn-"

Emma laughed. "Because you have to eat breakfast, duh."

"Oh, but I haven't even washed my face today. I look disgusting!" Zuri looked around, spotting Griff instantly. "Oh my god, Emma help me."

"Wait what? Are you still half asleep or something?" Emma asked.

"No. You're making me walk out here in front of Griff right after I woke up."

"He's staring at you."

"I know! I look horrible, kill me now."

"Come on, we're almost to the cafeteria."

Inside the cafeteria, Jorge and Ravi chatted whilst serving late sleepers food.

Ravi spotted Zuri. "Well, looks like you were tired last night."

Zuri chuckled. "Yeah, that game of dodgeball wore me out, I guess."

"I see." Ravi said, serving Zuri eggs and sausage.

Zuri found a place to sit and sat down. She was eating her food slowly when she noticed Griff had settled down beside her.

Zuri groaned. "Ugh, don't look at me. I didn't even get to wash my face, I look terrible."

"You look perfect." Griff smiled, looking at her, then quickly dropped his gaze to the floor.

"You think so?" Zuri blushed.

Griff looked back into Zuri's eyes. "I know so."

They leaned in closer to each other, but before they could kiss, there was a loud BAM! from the kitchen.

Jorge had been spying on them, and had dropped the pan he was holding on the floor by accident.

"Um.. oops," Jorge laughed nervously, picking up the pan.

"Stalker much?" Griff retorted, rolling his eyes.

"So.. when do you wanna go canoeing?" Zuri asked, finishing her food.

Griff smiled. "Does right now work for you?"

Zuri nodded and followed Griff to the dock.

~Griff's POV~

Griff looked at the canoe by the dock. "I'm sure we've got this under control."

"Yeah. After all that safety stuff that Emma and Ravi taught us on Safety Week, I think we're prepared." Zuri giggled.

Once they put on their life preservers and hopped into the canoe, Griff could feel the water ripples beneath him.

Zuri kept her eyes down, as if too nervous to say anything.

"You don't have to be so nervous. I like you for you." Griff smiled. "It's strange for someone like me to feel like this but.. Zuri, I really care about you."

"Griff.." Zuri blushed, looking into his eyes. "I really care about you too."

And without any possible interruptions, they kissed.

"You look so cute when your face turns red." Zuri giggled.

Griff felt like his cheeks were burning. "My face is red..?"

Zuri laughed. "Very."

She wrapped her arms around Griff's neck, keeping him close as he kissed her. It felt like forever until they stopped, and made their way back to the dock.

"Zuri, I had the best time today." Griff blushed.

"I did too.. see you later?"

"See you." Zuri headed back for the cabin when she felt a tug on her wrist.

Griff pulled her in close for one more kiss. Zuri smiled and went back to her cabin.

10 minutes later...

~Zuri's POV~

Zuri pranced around in her cabin, sporting her Cheshire Cat grin.

"Oh, so I take it Griff kissed you again?" Tiffany giggled.

Zuri jumped onto her bed. "Yep."

She was just about to fall asleep when Emma burst in the doorway.

"Zuri," Emma said, sounding upset. "I need to tell you something."

Zuri sat up, her grin fading into a frown. "Okay.."

"How do I say this.. Griff's Nature Rehabilitation Program has been cancelled for unknown reasons.." Emma gulped. "He has to leave camp."

Tears filled Zuri's eyes. "Leave camp..?"

The words felt like a knife to the throat for Zuri. She sobbed loudly, covering her face with her pillow.

"I'm so sorry, Zuri.." Emma frowned, and took off.

"Zuri.." Tiffany sighed. "I know it's gonna be hard, but you still have your friends here and-"

Zuri sniffed. "But Griff completes everything."

Emma burst in the doorway again.
"He's leaving in a few minutes, the reason the program is cancelled is urgent for some reason.."

Zuri stood up, her legs shaking. She started out the doorway, and her eyes met Griff's.

I can't let it end like this..

Zuri ran to Griff and hugged him tightly, her face against his chest.
"Don't leave me, Griff.."

"I don't have a choice.." Griff's eyes were just as red as Zuri's. He leaned in close to her ear. "I'll be back Zuri.. if it's the last thing I do."

"I love you.."

"I love you too."

A helicopter arrived. Griff grabbed onto the ladder and climbed up. As the door closed behind him, tears streamed down Zuri's face.