14th Night: Brand New Start

Man's Pov:

I drove my car into an availiable parking space in the parking lot. I sat in the driver's seat gazing up at the stairwell that entered the school I had a mission in. I hoped to never return to the pathetic town again. Not after what happened four years ago.

Not a day goes by when I have to think about that night. The sad look on her face brings an overbearing pain to my heart. I shake the feeling away. I let out a groan as I open the driver's seat car door.

*a couple days ago*

I was called into the Hunter's Assocation to recieve my next assignment. I had to report to the President of the Assocation himself. As I entered his office, I saw him sitting in a lounge chair. He wore a brightly colored kimono like a woman. His light colored purple hair was also pinned up as though he was a woman. I roll my eyes as I stood in front of him. "Good evening, Yagari-san."

I nod my head. "You have something for me?" I asked, getting straight to the point. I hated coming to the Assocation headquarters. Sure, I still work for them and was loyal. But I didn't trust them.

The President blew smoke from his smoking pipe and fanned a decorative fan. "Very well," He waved his hand over to the side. There was a filing locker next to his desk with a folder on top. I went to the locker and picked up the folder. "Kaien Cross is still managing that school of his across town. He has two uncontrollable creatures I need you to keep an eye on."

I raised an eyebrow at him. Did you really just say that? I asked in my mind. Because of an incident a long time ago, I lost one of my eyes. The statement made me think he was mocking me. 

The President chuckles as he notices my glare. "I didn't mean it like that, Yagari-san." he says. "But you do understand, don't you?" I roll my one good eye at him and opened the folder. "Everything you need to know is in there. And be sure to keep a close eye on the dhampir child."

I look up. "A dhampir?" I ask.

"Yes," he nods his head. "Cross-san claims that there is nothing wrong at Cross Academy. But I sent out a hunter to observe. There is a dhampir and a former human living on campus. The former human is not the main problem but you should keep an eye on it as well."

I said nothing and left his office.

*now*

 I stood below the flight of stairs that would lead me to the Academy. This is going to be an eventful day. I thought with another groan. I took a step and started walking up the stairs.

Ayane's POV:

I found myself walking in a dark forest. For some reason, this forest seemed very familiar. It was like I had walked through it before. And then it hit me. When I escaped the Senate four years ago and woke up outside the Senate's building, I ran through a forest.

But I didn't understand. Why was I here? I remember going to sleep in my new bed next to Sora. Was I sleepwalking? I was so confused.

I decided to continue walking on the path in the forest and make my way out. The path I was walking was straight. There weren't any weird turns. I think I remember making a few turns when I was running before. That was odd.

Suddenly, I saw a bright light on the end of the path. Maybe that was the exit. I thought. My feet began to quicken it's pace into a run. Faster and faster I ran to reach the exit. And then, I stop. The bright light was gone. Ahead of me, was a mirror. What is a mirror doing in the middle of a forest? That question ran through my mind.

I walked closer to the mirror. It was so weird. Why is there a mirror? I began to walk around the mirror. When I got behind it, I blinked. The mirror was gone. Like it wasn't there anymore. When I walked back, there it was. This is too weird. I thought. I took another step and looked into the mirror.