Chapter 3 Our arrival

Rick's fingers were grazing across my shoulder as I slowly opened my eyes. Everything was blurry but I could see Rick's eyes staring into mine.

"Wake up we're here." He said then he opened the door and got out of the car. I must have fallen asleep on the way here. As I stretched my arms out I could feel a sharp pain in my cheek, it was still red and sore from Ricks slap. I tried to move myself into a position to get out of the car, but I felt nauseous and sick, I knew why though. It was those horrible side effects I got every time from my medication.

I sat still as I watched Rick walk over to my side of the car and he opened the door for me. As soon as Rick opened the door I couldn't help but turn my body so it was facing the outside and I lowered my head and started vomiting. Rick stood there and pulled my long hair out of my face and gently rubbed my back as I was vomiting. When I finished Rick helped me to my feet.

"Side effects I see." He said. I couldn't talk because I was scared I might start vomiting again, so I nodded my head in agreement.

"Don't worry you'll be alright love." He reassured me as he closed the door behind me.

"Wait here, I just want to get our bags out of the trunk." He told me. Rick let go of my hand and walked to the back of the van. As I stood there a soft breeze caressed my painful cheek. I looked around the forest and it was beautiful. There were tall green trees, tropical coloured flowers and I could hear the sound of water in the nearby waterfall. The air was refreshing here and the atmosphere was different and relaxing.

I couldn't relax though because I was terrified that something horrible was going to happen to Rick and I and I was the only one conscious of it. Rick just thought I was paranoid. Another cool breeze rushed past me and I took in a deep breath of fresh air. I stared at the trees in the distance, suddenly I saw a shadow of something or someone run to the right. It disappeared in an instant and I tried to point it out again, but I couldn't see it.

I was terrified in that moment in time, what if it was watching us? I panicked. I was so deep in my train of thought that when Rick tapped my shoulder I jumped!

"Don't do that you almost gave me a heart attack!!!" I told him.

"Calm down! What is it this time?" He asked.

"It's nothing I just thought I saw something that's all."

"Oh god Amber stop being so paranoid there is nothing here. When will you get that through your thick skull?!" He yelled at me. "Okay, okay I'm sor... Just then my stomach contracted and I started to vomit once again.

" Are you okay?" Rick asked out of concern. Once I finished I wiped my mouth with my sleeve.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I reassured him.

As I opened my mouth to continue my apology Rick put his finger over my lips.

"Stop, you don't need to say another word. You look horrible, how about we get you in the cabin first?" He asked.

"OK" I replied. Rick immediately put his hand into mine and we walked hand in hand to the cabin.