VII. AMARYLLIS

"Edward."

  "Oh my god! Melissa! You're back! I missed you!"

"Edward, you were right."

"No, Melissa. I was wrong, so incredibly wrong."

"Edward, Joseph had been cheating on me for two months. I had only been dating him for three."

"Mel, I'm so sorry. You tried so hard."

"I wish I hadn't tried. I wish I never met him. I gave up so much, and for what? A dumbass whore?"

"Maybe you still haven't found the right person yet. He'll show up one day, and you'll know for sure."

"No one has just 'showed up' for me. I can only wish that my dream-guy would just show up already."

"He's got to be closer than you think, Melissa."

"Edward, I want to apologize. I shouldn't have ever gone off on you. You knew what was best for me. Plus, I got you a flower again."

"It's gorgeous. What kind of flower is it?"

"It's an amaryllis."

"It reminds me of you; you're beautiful and unexpected."

"Oh, stop. You're too kind. Wipe that weird grin off your face, weirdo."

"You're also a weirdo, then."

"Don't say that today. I'm not feeling it. So, did you ever confess to a girl?"

"No, I haven't yet. I'm waiting for the right moment. Did you ever confess to Joseph?"

"Of course not. I was too scared. But you've got to promise me something."

"What?"

"You must confess to your crush tomorrow!"

"How old are you again? Six?"

"Har, har. I'm sixteen, probably your age."

"If it makes you happy, I'll confess soon. But I haven't known her for long."

"Can't hurt to try. I want one of my friends to find love soon, and not the kind that I had."

"Okay, I get it. I'll tell her tomorrow."

"Great. Bye, weirdo."

"Bye, Melissa."