IX. ROSE

Melissa took a seat on the bench, and her eyes turned soft. But for some reason, Edward felt as if Melissa would reject him. He'd only known her for a short period of time, so it would be reasonable. He braced himself.

  "Edward," Melissa said, the curls in her hair bounced, "I need some time. Some time to get over myself."

  "Melissa, I—"

  "Don't be sorry. I really like you, too, but I can't be in another relationship right now. It's too much," Melissa said quietly. She looked up at Edward, her apple-shaped cheeks now a crimson color. Her green eyes were big, and her lashes were obsidian black.

"But, Edward, you can ask me that same question whenever you want, and I'll accept when I'm ready."

  "Thank you, Melissa. I will ask you every day," Edward chuckled. Melissa smiled. She stood up and held his hands in hers, and she gave them a gentle squeeze.

  "You're like a rose. At first, you stray because of its weird, dangerous thorns. Then, you realize its beauty through it all," Melissa said sweetly.

  "You're my rose, Mel," Edward said. He fiddled with a tendril of Melissa's hair, and tucked it behind her ear. She ducked out of his loving arms.

  "One day," she reminded him.