Chapter 9: A Dish Served Cold

Seán McLoughlin

I looked through the scope of the sniper, and zoomed in on my friends who were carefully making their way down the sloped hill and into their position, Felix approaching the concrete wall on the front lawn, and Mark heading to the garage where the backdoor entrance was. After confirming their positions, I moved over to surveying the area.

I had chosen a vantage point where I could see the left side of the house, with the front entrance to my left and the back entrance to my right where there was the garage.

The mansion had two floors, it had a front lawn that had a hedge running around the surrounding concrete wall. The windows were covered with red curtains, making it impossible for me to see inside. Just past the main gates were two vans, and Felix was a few steps away from them and near the front lawn where four men were roaming around. The front lawn was wide, a person had to go a little ways to reach the main door, and same for the garage at the back.

"I see four guards at on the front lawn, they're all carrying assault rifles and wearing body armor." I notified the two, before continuing the task of scanning the area.

"So I guess Cry's been busy these past months gathering a bunch of expendable dipshits as his bodyguards." Mark's deep voice ringing through my ears.

"There are three by the garage near M. A single SUV is parked there, it's Cry's car." I added, "I saw two at the side of the house, the left side that is."

"Don't worry about that, S. As long as you clear us a path inside, we'll take care of the rest." Felix assured. "I'm going to the vans now."

I moved up the first floor balcony where I saw one by a satellite dish holding a device linked to it. "One guy is using a radio."

As I look through the reticle, I set the crosshairs on the head of that guy and pulled the trigger, watching a hole burst through the guy's head and spray blood at the dish.

"Radio guy is down. And it's a fucking mess, look at all that blood!" I declared, then shooting a hole through the dish itself before moving over to the side of the house where two guys were conversing, unaware that I had begun thinning the herd.

One of them was blocking my full view of the other guard. Aiming again for the head, I shot, the bullet went in the back of the guy's head then hitting the second squarely in the face. An even bigger spray of blood painted the wall behind them.

"Oh yeah! Two birds, one stone!" I pumped my fist.

"The first van has been rigged." Felix updated. I moved to where he was and spotted him hiding beside one of the vans.

"I'm clearing the path for you first, M." I advised, focusing on the garage at the backyard.

I aimed at the man nearest to Mark who was hiding just behind a tree a few feet from the driveway into the garage. Mark leaned against a boulder and equipped his carbine rifle.

"What next?" Mark asked.

"He's walking closer to where you're at, if you could lead him away from his friends, I can pick him off." I replied.

"Copy that." He acknowledged.

I watched him move away from his spot, but not without creating some kind of distraction that eventually caught the guard's attention. Mark hid behind a bush far from where he begun as the man approached him.