Chapter Five

Katherine was sitting in her bed, her eyes holding this horrible empty look in the, her face was hollow and haunted. Michael and Katherina were sitting on the edge of her bed, they’re eyes trained on her. “Katherine it been a week.” Michael said quietly. She didn’t respond merely huddled under her blankets, refusing to take her gaze off the window.

“Katherine,” her sister’s voice trembled. “You need to eat something you’re wasting yourself away.”

At this Katherine rolled over to meet her sister’s eyes. “If he dies, it won’t matter.” Her voice was hoarse like it hadn’t been used in days. Michael made a sound that almost sounded like rage, and turned his face away from her.

“Katherine, your making me ill, you need to get up do something.” His voice cracked and he looked at her, “if you won’t get up for yourself, get up for me, because I’m not keen on dying.” She pushed herself into a seated position, distressed at the look of pain and weariness on his face. She touched his cheek wordlessly, then leaned on his broad shoulder, and shut her eyes breathing heavily forcing her tears back where they belonged. “You have this awful empty look in your eyes that makes me want to shake you.”

“I don’t feel exactly myself, Michael; I can feel though deep in my bones that something might have happened to him, something horrible.” She whispered in his ear, shaking.

“There’s one way you can tell if he died or is in pain, you two are connected in a way I’ve only seen once before but if he dies or is seriously hurt you’ll feel it.” He looked up at her and pressed his hand against her chest where her heart was. “Right here, a deep pang, then later pulsing of pain.” She nodded seriously then bent to kiss his hand.

But it was two weeks later, when she was almost back to her normal self and was laughing while watching a show with Michael that she felt it. In the middle of the show, she doubled forward, with a cry of pain. Her hands scrabbled over where her heart was as tears ran down her face. Great blasts of pain were coming out of her heart, slamming into her, stunning her. Then after pulsing of pain, rang through her body.

She looked up at Michael tears in her eyes, “he’s dead.” She whispered then dropped to the floor in agony brought on by her own aching heart. She looked up into his eyes searching begging for him to tell her otherwise, but she saw nothing.

“Do you feel like that pulsing pain?” Katherina asked sliding down to sit next to her.

“Yeah why?” Katherine trembled, fighting to force her tears back where they belonged.

“He’s still alive; he probably got in a fight and took a big blow.” Katherina said excitedly.

“You mean him still alive?” Katherine said her eyes lighting up.

“Yep,” Katherina said smugly.

“Thank god,” she murmured to herself and Michael finally moved, he stood and went to the window, His eyes raking over the sky.  Katherine still didn’t stand, she only moved when the pulsing of pain faded, shakily she stood going to the back door, and climbing the tree in the backyard, she sat on one of the oak trees thicker branches shaking. She buried her head in her hands, what wrong with me? She thought, he’s alive I should be happy. But I’m not; I don’t feel happy or grateful. “Oh, god, what’s wrong with me? He’s going to live he’s totally fine, but I feel so empty.” Katherine swung her legs back and forth her head still in her hands, wanting to cry but unable to.

“Maybe you don’t want him to live,” Katherina’s voice floated over to her. Katherine didn’t bother looking up, her eyes burned. “Maybe, you don’t love him,” she knew her sister was smiling. “Maybe you love someone else, someone who’s listening to us right now. Someone who’s been waiting for you. Maybe it’s time for you to admit you never loved him and never will.” Katherina’s voice was sharp at the end, and Katherine whipped her head up to glare at her.