Prologue

This book will be alternating between Adrien's and Marinette's PoV, starting with Adrien this chapter.

Adrien's PoV

All Adrien could remember was darkness and this freezing sensation that surrounded him. His body was starting to go numb, but he didn't make any attempt to warm himself up. He felt deep inside him that it was useless, pointless to even move a fraction of his body as he stared into the deep pit of nothingness that he was in.

He felt as if he were suffocating, like his lungs were collapsing within his chest. His body was being squeezed tightly from the pressure of whatever he was in but he still couldn't shake that name out of his head. He couldn't feel his heart beat either. It was like he was dead. Is he dead? He couldn't remember dying. Is that how it works? Do you die, and end up not remembering how you die? Do you just end up in an empty space once your dead and gone?

Adrien was never one to believe in God fully. He use to, when his mother was with him, but after she left, he had doubted God. He hated him actually. Blamed him for everything. Is this what Hell was?

I guess I should have went to church more. Maybe I should have believed in him.

He didn't know where he was, or how he got there. He could barely remember his own name. But there was one name that stood out to him. It was painted on the back of his eyelids, shining bright and projecting itself as an image inside his head.

Marinette.

Who's Marinette?

Marinette.

Pictures of a smiling blue eyed girl flashed at the back of his eyes like a movie with no sound. Her hair was constantly tied back into two identical pigtails as dark blue bangs swept over her forehead. To anyone else, Adrien would have thought the pigtails were childish but for some reason he didn't think that when he saw her. No, he thought of one word. Beautiful. Breathtakingly beautiful. He knew that if his heart was beating, it would be beating faster.

The freckles that dusted her nose, the nose that scrunched up in the slightest when she had a wide grin on her face. Her rose colored lips were stretched into a smile showing off pearly white teeth.

Marinette.

It was so familiar, as if he had said the name hundreds of times before. The name rolled off his tongue easily, metaphorically speaking. Why was it so familiar? Where was he? Why was he here? The images of the smiling girl began to flicker, instead being replaced by a different image. An image so gory and heart wrenching, he wished he could unsee it.

The same girl, the same beautiful girl, was now lying on pavement, rain pounding down around her as a dark red liquid left the backside of her head, pooling around her blue locks and creating a puddle on the sidewalk. Her blue eyes were open wide, mouth slightly parted as she stared off at nothing.

Her sparkling blue eyes were now dull and lifeless and her once rosy lips were a light blue. Adrien was gasping now, begging for air to come back into his not functioning lungs as he continued to see the image of her corpse.

Marinette. Marinette. Marinette.

Who was she? Why did she have this effect on him? Why was she dead? Did he do it? Did he kill her? He couldn't remember. His thoughts were overcome with an unbearable sadness and something else mixed into it.

Did he kill her? Did he kill this beautiful girl? Why would he kill her? She looked so innocent, and unsuspecting. Why would he do that?

Marinette.