1

"Just gonna run out to the store mom! I'll be right back!" You yelled out to your mother before pulling the front door closed behind you.

The cold Brooklyn air blew past you on your way down the porch steps.

You hastily walked down the street not wanting to spend too much time in this weather.

You needed a few more things than you could find at the bodega so unfortunately you'd have to go further than the little corner store.

When you finally made it to the grocery store you speedily shopped picking up all the items you needed.

Lastly you grabbed a bottle of pop to drink on your way home.

You turned around and saw this man standing beside you looking at something nearby.

He was short and frail looking but attractive none the less.

He looked over at you and gave a nervous unconfident smile which you returned.

Living in New York not many people smiled at strangers.

Or started a conversation with them for that matter.

"That's a nice coat you're wearing." The man spoke up surprising you with a voice that didn't quite match his body.

This time you gave a wide toothy smile to the man.

"That's so sweet of you to say. Thank you."

He smiled back, a little more confidently this time, "You're welcome ma'am. Have a great day." He turned away walking off.

That was pleasantly unexpected.

You went to the checkout lane feeling much better about your day.

It was always good to see nice,kindhearted men. Especially when you felt as if there were none left.

You paid for your groceries and had began heading back home.

You mentally screamed when you noticed the group of men standing on the sidewalk not too far from you.

One of them said something to make them all look your way before they went back into conversation undoubtedly awaiting your arrival.

When you got closer one of the men began walking towards you causing you to stop.

"Hey doll. What's a pretty thing like you doing walking alone?"

You couldn't help but roll your eyes.

"Just headed home from the grocery." You flatly informed hoping he'd take a hint.

No such luck.

"Well why don't you let me carry those and I'll walk you home?" He urged.

"No thank you sir. I've got it myself. Have a nice day." You began walking again and quickly turned the corner.

You let out a sigh of relief.

"Hey wait up!" You heard his voice again along with quick footsteps.

You frustratedly turned to face the man.

Your mood was ruined and although you wanted to stay polite you were running out of patience.

"Alright how about I take you out for dinner instead?" He insisted once he finally caught up.

You raised an eyebrow.

"No thank you." You responded.

"Oh come on sweetheart. Give me a chance. I'm not like these other guys."