16

"I want to marry you Eleanor."

"Steven that's sort of a bold thing to say."

"I don't think you understand how I feel about you Eleanor."

You shook your head,"You love me. You tell me everyday."

"I would do anything for you. I would die for you. Right now if you wanted. Anything."

"That's ridiculous Steven. I don't need you to do that."

"I know but i would if it would make you truly happy."

"No."

"No?"

"I think you're just caught up in your own happiness."

"I know what I'm feeling Elle. I love you. I am in love with you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. If you'll have me that is."

"You can't be serious."

"I've never been more serious."

You laughed, this was insane. "We're just kids Steven."

"But I know how I feel. I know what I want. I want you, forever."

He was serious. You could tell.

You didn't know what to say.

"I think I should think about it. It's so...sudden."

His smile fell and he nodded,"Yeah of course. Take your time."

You forced a smile,"Don't worry Steven."

He gave another nod.

"I love you okay? It's just a big step. I just want to think about it."

"Okay." He insincerely smiled. "I should go. I've got to go to the military base. The letter said they wanted to meet with me."

"Oh." You didn't want him to leave. "Okay. Do you want to come over later?"

He smiled genuinely this time and nodded.

He leaned in and kissed you gently and contently.

"I'll see you later sweetheart."

Steve left and you sighed happily and looked over to your mom who was pretending not to pay attention.

"Oh is Steve gone?" She asked jokingly.

You fought a smile but didn't respond.

"You know Eleanor, you should really think about it. He's a once in a lifetime kind of guy."

"I know mom but maybe what if something happens? What if we get married and I get pregnant and he dies in the war? What am I supposed to do?"

She sighed and tucked a piece of hair behind your ear. She could see the tears brimming in your eyes."Darling, you can't do that to yourself, or to him. You two are mad about each other. It reminds me so much of you and your dad. When he passed," she paused for a second,"I wondered the same thing. What am I going to do? How to I tell my daughter that she doesn't have a father anymore? But i did it, we did it. And knowing the outcome of our lives, I wouldn't have dreamed of saying no. Those were the best years of my life. Getting to be his wife. Getting to be the one he chose. You have a right to be afraid but if you love him then it will all be okay. No matter what."

"You're so smart mom."

She smiled and nodded,"I know. Now, I've got a double shift at the hospital so I'll see you tomorrow."

You frowned,"You shouldn't work so hard."

"It keeps be busy. I like it. Don't worry about me."

"Of course I worry about you mom. I always will."

She smiled,"Well then I'll just be extra careful." She kissed your forehead before exiting the house.

You were all alone.

Just you and your thoughts.

She was right. Being Steve's wife will be the happiest time of your . Besides, Steve would be okay. He wasn't going to die. He may be little but he's smart and he'll have Bucky along with other soldiers to protect him.

You laid on the couch and stared at the ceiling he'll be okay.

He'll be okay.

Next thing you knew you were woken up to the sound of knocking.

You sat up and rubbed your tired eyes before getting off the couch.

You walked over to the door and opened it.

It was Steve.

He smiled at you and leaned in and kissed your cheek.

"Hi doll."

"Hi there handsome."  You greeted and stepped aside.

He came in and plopped down on the couch.

"You look stressed." You spoke taking a seat next to him.

"Elle. What do you think about me? Like how I look."

Your brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Do you think I look good?"

"Steven what are you talking about? Of course I think you look good."

"Even though I'm small and skinny?"

"Yes Steven. Even though your small and skinny. It doesn't change the way I see you. I love you for who you are. You're not too bad too look at either."

He nodded and stayed silent as he thought.

"Why?" You asked.

"I don't know." He blatantly lied.

"What is going on Steven?"

"Do you think I could do good in the war as a skinny kid from Brooklyn?"

You smiled,"That's why you'll make it. You've got heart kid." You nudged him.

"I'm serious Elle."

"So am I Steven. You're as pure as they come. You're strong willed, smart, and you stick up for what is right and fight what isn't. And you never give up. That's something muscles can't give you."

He touched your cheek. "You're a doll babe."

"I know. Where is this coming from?"

"I can't be drafted cause I'm too small. But there's a way I can get in."

"How?"

"There's a man who wants to try a type of experiment. It'll make me bigger, smarter, faster and stronger."

You stayed silent. What do you even say to that?

"It could go wrong. But it could go right and I could be a better man for you. I can fight this war. I can protect Bucky out there."

"How....uhh...how experimental is this treatment?"

"Very. But I'm a prime candidate. It'll fix everything. All my health problems will go away. I'll be perfect."

"I don't know Steven. What if it kills you?"

He sighed,"It's my best shot."

"I know but..I can't lose you."

He shook his head,"You won't. I can do this. We can do this. You'll be my good luck charm. My strength. Please."

You could see the pain in his eyes.
He needed this. More than anything.

"Okay. But I have to be there the whole time and if anything goes wrong I'm pulling the plug."

He kissed your nose,"I wouldn't have it any other way."