Chapter 8

"So Caleb, tell us more about you..." I say as I give a fake smile to him.

"Yes! Tells us more!" Grandma is completely oblivious to my second intentions and I love her for that.

"Uh... well, I'm 20 and I'm from Florida..."

"Wow. Florida?" Abby asks and me and Addy look to each other confused.

If he's from Florida what's he doing here?

"Yeah. My dad's from there and since he and my mom studied here I decided to come to Washington." He explains.

"But, Florida has great colleges. Just because you're parents studied here it doesn't mean you have to follow their academic footsteps." I say a little bit to loud.

My grandpa looks at me and then at the daddy.

"Well, sometimes you need sometime away from family..." He says with a strange look on his face.

"You are not the best person to be talking Em." Addy laughs and Mark continues, "Harry and Tessa studied here and so did my soon to be father in law"

"Soon to be what?" Ken and Abby ask at the same time.

I laugh and Karen looks at Mark reprehensibly and Addy kicks him.

"Sorry for him, you know how he is. He says a lot of bull." She throws him an angry look and then they start a small argument between them.

"Hey, Em", the intruder calls. "They don't like Mark very much do they?" He asks with a low voice, too close to me.

"First, I didn't give you that amount of trust to call me 'Em'. Only close friends and family call me that!" I answer in a equal tone.

"And second, Addy and Mark love each other and you have nothing to do with our family business. If they like him or not that's Addy's problem bot yours!" I defend my friend Mark and he answers me with a quick screw you glare.

"Your parents live here, Em?" He asks loudly and grandpa speaks before me.

"No. They live in New York. But they studied here. Well Harry did, Tessa did one semester here then she finnished in NYU."

"Oh, I did not know. But NYU is a very prestigious college, no ofense to your campus Ken. If you allow me to call you for your first name, sir."

"Of course, son." He winks at the bastard. And then looks at me with a smile.

I roll my eyes and the daddy continues.

"Why did you come here, Em? You know you don't have to follow your parents academic footsteps... So why did you came?" Caleb pushes and my mind goes through all those hours watching How to get away with murder with my mom.

"Because I can. And because I wanted to."

"Hmm. I think you're trying to run from daddy." He talks ao innocent but I could bet a million dollars that that had another meaning.

I gesture a fuck you and I ignore him for the rest of the dinner.

We hear Abby talk about all the travelling she has done and my wish was that she could take me with her.

Ken went to the other side of the table to talk with his colleagues. Karen is talking to her friends and Caleb is texting someone.

Addy and Mark have disappeared and I decided to go outside with Abby to spend sometime alone with my favorite aunt. Not that I don't like Addy's mom but Abby is the best.

She's one of those persons who you can tell everything to and she will always give you the best advice and she always has something to say.

"Now you see what I have to deal with." I say and sit on one of the chairs near the glass table in the backyard.

"He's not so bad. I think you're overreacting."

"Overreacting? Me?" I'm not overreacting. That guy it's awful I don't know how she cannot see it.

"Em. I know you. And, okay he may have told you somethings he shouldn't, but you were drunk and I'm sure you said something to him that made him say that."

I might have said some things but, I won't change my mind.

"Em, don't be mad at me, but he his kind of charming. He's good looking, captain of the football team."

"Probably gay."

"Probably but nowadays you never know. But what I'm trying to say is that he is a good catch."

"I'm not interested."

"Emery Styles look at me." I've been loking at the greenhouse as she rambled about the daddy.

I slowly move my focus to her eyes.

"I think you should try and be nicer." She places her hands on top of the table and gesture to put mine on top of hers.

"I am nice." Sometimes.

"Depending on your mood. And that was not the education your parents gave you."

Here it is.

Everytime I do or say something wrong, there comes the famous words.

"For my sake, Abby I don't need this good samaritan talk. I know what I'm doing. I'm fucking eighteen years old."

I show exasperation and she rolls her eyes.

"Then behave like one and apologize. You gave the poor guy a black eye and you don't even remember why." Abby's lecture has a point.

I should try behaving more like an adult, but I always wanted to feel that liberty that college offers, and what's wrong with that?

"Okay, fine. I give up. I'll go inside and I'll apologize." I say not believing in my words.

"And promise me you won't wasteyour time in partying every single night and every single day."

I reluctantly agree with her.

"Yes mam." I joke than I stand up to go inside and I already feel my stomach twitching.

I search for Caleb and I can't seem to find him.

"Hey granny have you seen the dad- I mean Caleb?" I interrupt her conversation about flowers with a smile.

"I think he is upstairs..."

"Thank you gran" I give her a quick kiss on the cheek then I climb up the stairs.

I hear a voice coming through Ken's office.

"Yeah its her ... Yeah ... How do you think I know?"

What the hell?

I keep hearing through the door trying to figure out what he's saying.

"Dad it's her okay? ... Yeah ... New York. No, no ... Probably but no. I mean ... I think so."

"Caleb is it you?" I call and he hurries to end the call.

"I gotta go it's her... call you later."

As he opens the door with a smile I turn around to leave but I remember my talk with Abby.

"What?" He asks confused.

"I just wantedto apologise for being rude and for that." I point to his eye.

"It's about damn time." He has a cocky smile splattered on his face. "I have been a sweetheart to you and you have been kicking me with cruel words."

I can't believe he's saying this shit. Fuck him. Fuck Abby. Fuck everyone.

I'm not going to hear this anymore.

"Pff... You must think you are some kind of angel, bastard." I turn around and leave, walking straight to my dad's room.

(Author's Note: Hey everybody! Sorry for the late post. I've been ver busy this last week, but I'll promise I'll post more tomorrow! So what do you think about daddy's phone call? Mysterious hm? See you next chap! XOXO Miriam)