Chapter 1: Made and Kept

Disclaimer: I do not own Pokemon. Pokemon belongs to GameFreak, etc.

Ash made one promise, every year. He was now keeping that promise.

What was that promise, you ask?

Well, the promise he makes every year is to visit all his past travelling companions one day. And this week was the week he was going to do that.

Ash was now eighteen. He recently completed another journey. He didn't exactly promise his friends from the region he just went to that he'd see them again, as they had just parted ways but he certainly promised his other friends. One day after another, he was flying to different regions. He had been to Hoenn, Unova and Alola. Today was the day he went to Sinnoh. He was lucky he didn't have to didn't have to visit Johto, because that meant he could spend more time with each friend. He didn't have to visit Misty or Brock either, since he could visit them whenever he wanted when he was in Kanto.

The plane Ash was on landed in Jubilife City. After going through security and quarantine for the fourth time this week, he saw the buildings towering over the streets. He saw the flocks of Starly, migrating to the colder parts of Sinnoh.

Ash owed Dawn a visit, of course. He decided on walking to Twinleaf Town so he could enjoy the surroundings. He had enough time on his hands, he was sure. When he finally got to Twinleaf Town, found Dawn's home and knocked on the door, it opened up to Dawn's mother, Johanna.

"Hello Ash! How are you? It's been so long since Dawn and I last saw you!"

"Yeah it has, Johanna." She had instructed him multiple times to call her by her first name. No need for formalities. This was in fact the same with May's parents and Serena's mother as well.

"Come in! Would you like some tea?"

"Um, actually Johanna, I only came to inquire about Dawn. I promised I'd visit her one day and well, here I am."

"Oh, okay. Something going on between the two of you?" Johanna asked, winking.

"No, just a guy visiting his friend - who happens to be the opposite gender."

"I see. Well, Dawn is currently in Hearthome City, so if you-"

"Thanks Johanna! I apologise for the sudden leave, but Dawn isn't the only one I'm seeing this week."

"That's alright. Safe travels!" Johanna shouted, waving to Ash who had run to the flat field next to the house and was already calling out Staraptor. Only fair to use the bird he caught in Sinnoh, he figured. He had used Swellow in Hoenn and Unfezant in Unova. He was going to use Noivern in Kalos if he needed to.

Ash wasn't too happy with needing to go to Hearthome, since he had just come from Jubilife. However, Ash was a man of his word, and kept his promises.

============================================================

An hour or so later Staraptor was beginning to tire out, but they were close enough to where Ash could walk into the city. He landed Staraptor and thanked him. He assumed Dawn would be in the Pokemon Centre. He went there first and he saw her reading a magazine, her head down. She had surprised him in Unova, so he decided it was time to return that favour. He lightly tapped her shoulder but got out of her view immediately after.

Dawn turned around at someone touching her on the shoulder but saw no-one there. He had a feeling of déjà vu. She did this to a certain someone in Unova, and she guessed this is what she got for doing it. However, she didn't jump to conclusions right away. She pretended to turn to her right now but quickly snapped her head back to the left to see Ash.