Chapter 3: Plans and Promises

Disclaimer: I do not own Pokemon. Pokemon belongs to GameFreak, etc.

So close to the Christmas holidays... and that means (possibly) daily chapters! I know not many people read this but writing is something I enoy so I'll do it anyway.

Ash, Serena and Bonnie were on their way to Ambrette Town. They had just gone through Camphrier, which was a problem since the Master Class Showcase was in five days and they hadn't covered even half the distance yet. Ash knew if he needed to he could ask for Noivern and Charizard to fly them there, but he wasn't sure if either of them could carry two people.

They were enjoying lunch, cooked by Serena since Clemont wasn't there. She was the second best out of their old group. Bonnie had probably learnt a bit from her brother but Ash was a... not so good cook. He tended to burn water when he was supposed to boil it, and scorched food when asked to sizzle.

Unknown to them, they were being watched. People in red suits were looking at them through binoculars from a long way away. These people were part of Team Flare, an evil organisation that should have been disbanded long ago after their leader, Lysandre, died in an attempt to destroy the world – which was stopped by none other than Ash and company.

Who were Team Flare after this time? Of course the one person who ruined all their plans. The person who had protected the red Zygarde Core, or Z-1, for so long and so well it trusted humans and stopped Team Flare.

Bonnie. They wanted to capture her and use their mind control system on her so that they could use her to command Zygarde.

As they were packing away the last of the dishes, their watchers surrounded them. They sent out their usual Pokemon – Skorupi and Houndour.

"I see Malva didn't do well enough."

The Team Flare members laughed, as if they were too strong for Malva.

"Ash Ketchum. We meet again."

Ash turned around to see a man walking towards him, face covered. A Pyroar stalked silently beside him and a Gyarados slithered behind.

"No... you died years ago... why are you here?"

"I am here to ruin your ideal life. Like you ruined mine. I'm going to take away everything you love. I will make you feel pain."

"Lysandre, you don't have to do this."

"Oh, but I do. Pyroar, Overheat!"

Pyroar let out flames so strong it had the three friends down on the ground, close to fainting. While they were 'occupied', several Team Flare members swooped in and grabbed Bonnie, taking Squishy with her. She was screaming in panic before being gagged by a cloth smelling strongly of some sort of sleeping agent, and she went out. This drew Ash to send out Greninja.

"Water Shuriken, and fast! Extinguish all the fire!"

Greninja did exactly as it was told and put the fire around them out. It was just in time, too, as five Team Flare members were about to take Serena away as well.

"Greninja, Cut!"

Greninja swiped at the grunts, forcing them back. They decided that running was a better idea than messing with a boy and Greninja who had beaten them before.

Watching their retreat, Ash sighed in regret. He hadn't been able to save Bonnie. He had promised Clemont he would take care of her. Would this be the first promise he broke?

============================================================

Bonnie had been lifted onto a helicopter and flown off to a country house which belonged to what seemed like a kind old man, but was actually the cover for the new Team Flare base. The man had been poor, and Lysandre had offered him money if he allowed them to use his house.