Chapter 25: Wrath of Rowan

"What's the meaning of this?"

Rowan's voice echoed in the training area. Both Seiren and Madeleine flinched at his raised tone. They'd never heard him shout before. Seiren jumped up as Rowan stalked across the arena, a scroll of paper in his hand. He looked like he was about to explode like a loaded orange rune. Behind him, his two guards glanced at each other before sliding the door shut, leaving Seiren and Rowan alone.

"What's the meaning of what?" said Seiren, eyebrow raised.

Rowan thrust it in her face, flushed. "This, you petulant child."

Seiren scanned the top and her stomach dropped. It was the report on her escaped experiment, except it didn't mention the details about her research. It was a summons for the nearest mages to assist in an escaped convict in Bicknor dated two days ago, probably the same one that called Tahir Portendorfer to Seiren's aid that day. All the other mages must know now, then.

"I go away for two days and this lands in my pigeon hole," Rowan said, biting out each word.

"What makes you think this has to do with me?" She tried to stem her racing heart.

He gave her such a withering look she thought her face would melt.

"Don't play coy with me, you little rascal. Your damned name is at the bottom."

Oh.

I'm not the only one who has an issue with this, huh? Madeleine said with sarcasm, not in the least bit sympathetic.

"Pray tell, Mage Nithercott, what was a convict doing in your hands at the Bicknor Research Institute?"

"The council gave me permission to do this," said Seiren, clenching her fists. Rowan's cheeks were flushed, his blue-green eyes bright.

"Cut the crap about permissions. What the hell are you doing with these living people?"

It was a long time before Seiren swallowed and met his glaring eyes again.

"I'm trialling healing and regenerative runes. I need humans for experimentation."

He reeled. He spluttered before finding his words, disbelief mingled with fury. "You are joking."

She bit her lip.

"Where are your morals? You killed people."

"People that would otherwise have been killed anyway!" She stamped her foot, fire coursing over her body. "It's the last good thing they can do before they die, to contribute to the good of society!"

"Good of society?" Rowan scoffed. Seiren wanted to punch him. "What's so good about inflicting pain and suffering? Are you just reassuring yourself you're not that much of a monster? Are you in any way better than them?"

"I never said I was better." This conversation was going nowhere. "It's not about me."

"No. But your hands, which are meant to help people, are actually killing people."

She stopped, her mouth going dry.

"How dare you?" she rasped. "You think I enjoy doing this? Madeleine is dead. It's my duty to bring her back and I don't care how many people I need to experiment on before I succeed."

Don't drag me into this. I never consented.

"Shut up!" Seiren said out loud. She snapped back to Rowan, who scowled. "Right or wrong? If you have problems with that, take it up with the Council of Mages. Don't spew your morality crap at me. If it's such an issue I would never have gotten permission for my research. You have no jurisdiction over me."