Chapter 96: The Truth of the King's Mages

"Pollin was not a man of war."

Kristen spread her hands before her, her eyes bright with honesty.

"There had been far too much conflict between Karma and Hanna. I, and many others, felt we should not be using our magic to harm other humans. By choosing to learn magic, we are obliged to serve the country and her people, regardless of our own wishes and morality codes. The magic must only be used at the bidding of the king. By becoming a mage, we are stripped of our own freedom, our own right to decide what to do with powers we are naturally born with.

"Pollin felt such thoughts were treason. Despite history telling the tales of the sisters Karma and Hanna that began all magic, the Miracles would never accept reuniting the countries again. Even though the Hannans' summoning magic were impaired because of our occupation of Acrise. Even though our own, who could have been blessed with summoning magic, were not allowed to hone it because they were, by definition, Karmans and not Hannans. Karma would not relinquish to Hanna, nor had she the firepower and manpower to take over. Hanna felt differently."

"You betrayed your own country."

"Is it an own country when Karma and Hanna began as one single entity? It was the constant conflict between the two sisters that began it all, split to north and south, demon summoners to the north and celestial magic users to the south. We are only trying to reunite the two."

"Why? Just to stop wars? Why couldn't you just have a peace pact?"

"Because when there is power, there will always be conflict. Unless those with power unanimously stand outside the conflict, there will always be those who wish to use celestial and summoning powers for their own gain. Peace can't be gained that way. Prince Fautos of Hanna agreed to give us the same rights as their summoners in return for our service -- not slavery -- if we facilitate the takeover. The Karma rune is only a step in the right direction."

"So you'll take the magic away? From everyone?"

She shrugged. "Most people don't have significant enough magic to manifest or channel the energy anyway. It is of no loss."

"Severing the magic that links the soul and the body and destroys souls."

Kristen became very still. "Who did you hear that from?"

"Kommora Haigh."

"Kommora Haigh is an old mage with values and beliefs that are far outdated. She has always been steadfast against changes and rebellions against tradition. I wouldn't believe her. She can be very manipulative. She always knows exactly what to say to make you rally for her, but she wouldn't hesitate to throw you in front of a cart if it's to her advantage."

Seiren was vividly reminded of Kommora using her as a literal shield against Jarsdel's shockwave magic and how scathing she had been about every motive of the king's mages. She bit her lip.

"You say your aim is to stop the fights, but you're willing to kill so many people for this magic. How are you better than anyone before you? All the wars? You can't decide that for everyone else."

"I have the power to, combined with the other king's mages. I can and I will. If I don't, nobody else will. History will repeat itself. Magic has been abused for too long. Maybe I'll be remembered as the devil. It's for the greater good."

"It's organic magic, isn't it?" The words tasted sour on Seiren's tongue. Loren had died by organic magic. It tore the soul from the body and destroyed it entirely. It was a horrific way to die -- according to Kommora. But Kommora had no reason to lie to Seiren about Loren. Loren was dead -- Seiren saw her dying in Benover. Kommora couldn't have made that up. "It's cruel magic."