Author's Note: Questions, Facts, and Thank Yous

Wow, this story was nowhere near as long as Rune Mage (RM was 200k and this was 83k). Either it means I got better at condensing my scenes or Chaos Mage needs a bit more fleshing out, lol.

I'm afraid life has been super hectic over the past few months so I don't have that many statistics for Chaos Mage. I began it in March, continued it during Camp NaNoWriMo April 2018, and it was completed during late May. 

Thank Yous

My thanks to all the readers who followed me through Seiren's second adventure. I had intended to write a sequel for Rune Mage anyway, but it was at a lot of the followers' encouragement did I give it further thought and flesh out where to go from there. I love reading all your comments. Those who were with me from the beginning of Rune Mage would know I do take inspiration and influence from the speculations, questions, and comments people leave, so please do continue to theorise away when I start my next project! I love reading your thoughts.

Specific thanks to the amazing folk who followed me through the making of Book 1 as well as Book 2: VigneshR6, CaptainSarcastic101, Vainel, kevohkish, and thesilentshadow.

And also major thanks to everyone who cheered me through Book 2 as well: LiezelOlao, PineappleLuvz, PrateekGoel, salha33, Sammy0412, angelmlee83, sgd1975, EllaraNithercott, AuthorJMColes, MidnightMist143, Tiana_L, loleini, mayorblaze, temyazriel, CandiceEspinoza9, kamsoneirisms.

Obviously, as usual, thanks to my awesome volunteer editor MarkAshWood and my ever-enthusiastic supporting friend Nadia.

About the Inspiration:

During the writing of this, I played a lot of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, so you may recognise some of the places that were inspired by TZA's sandseas and Rabanastre.

I'd initially intended Hanna to be in everlasting winter, a bit like the long winters of Game of Thrones, which was why the cover I'd created for Chaos Mage was snowy. But TZA just became too big of an inspiration. I'd just finished my stint with Empress of Fire earlier on this year so I was still heavily influenced by the far east, so I'd also amalgamated some Manchurian/Qing dynasty into Hanna's culture.

Because this was done during NaNoWriMo and not updated in real time, unfortunately I didn't get to use much of the readers' suggestions. I was quite saddened by that — it was a lot of fun throwing red herrings in and twisting your speculations before!

About the Characters:

In this book, I wanted to explore the more unconventional ways people can be strong whilst avoiding the typical muscled overpowering trope. We know Seiren can hold her own in a battle most of the time, but after reading Throne of Glass (I hate that book, honestly...), I wanted to explore other areas characters can be strong without putting down others or just kicking ass.