Chapter 52: Crisis in Acrise

It took two more days before Seiren felt back to functional again. During that period, she and Rowan had few interactions. He checked in on her every few hours, but he said very little. Tylene brought her meals and assisted her with washing and dressing until her muscles ached less -- and assured her that Rowan hadn't seen her naked. Neither Tylene nor Rowan mentioned Loren's name.

"How is your skin so nice?" said Tylene. Seiren jumped and swivelled her head round to stare at her. Tylene continued to nonchalantly dry Seiren's back. It was an odd comment to come from a woman who was at least thirty years old.

"I... wash it?"

"Oh, thank you. Nice to know there is basic hygiene involved."

"There is no secret." Seiren felt the sharp edge of irritation creeping into her voice and she pulled back. Rowan wasn't the only one who was used to punching first and regretting later. "Genes?"

Tylene hmmed and helped her fasten her dress button at the back. Seiren's shoulders ached too much to bend to that angle. The tapping noise of a bird's beak caught Seiren's attention. A familiar-looking fat pigeon perched outside the high window, staring at her with haughty red eyes. Seiren climbed onto her bed and tugged the window open. The bird flapped in and cooed, offering its leg. Another scroll.

Calling nearby mages Iwade and northwards: winter support for Acrise required as decreed by King Pollin, to start in one week.

Seiren sighed with relief that the scroll wasn't related to another attack, but then tensed again. She and Rowan would have to attend this summons.

Ever since Acrise got reclaimed two years ago, it's struggled to stay viable during the winter months. It's a mage's obligation to help out civilians in need.

Thanks, Madeleine. I did pay attention in the Ethics lectures, you know.

I would never have guessed.

"What's going to happen to Felora and Peron now that... that..."

"They'll probably be reassigned to a new mage, probably one that has recently qualified and not yet had aides yet."

"Someone like me."

"Maybe." Tylene brightened up. "But after what happened to Lo-- what happened, I think they'll end up spending a lot of time with Judiciary and the king's mages before they'll be released on another attachment."

There were the words again. King's mages. The name evoked reverence and power beyond imagination. They took over all the cases of the mages' attacks so far and but had never condemned the attacks by the rogues. Joining them would give her access to the most advanced and hidden information about human magic. But they also sent Seiren after Halen Ashworth.

Knowing you haven't a hope in hell in surviving another attack, let alone capturing her.

I managed it.

You almost killed yourself with whatever you did. Hey. What did you do to her?

Seiren bit her lip. Madeleine nosed about her memory of that day and Seiren locked it down even further. Madeleine had told her it was the devil's magic. Madeleine would kill her if she knew Seiren used the same rune on Ashworth as the attackers on Loren.

There were two light taps on the door before it eased open. Rowan marched in, shoulders rounded and black hair flat, lacking life. Felora excused herself. In Rowan's hand he clutched the same piece of paper Seiren had received.

"Had enough rest?" she said in an attempt to be nonchalant. The paper in Rowan's hands crunched.

"I don't sleep." His voice was hoarse. He cleared it, not meeting her eyes. "My mind has a tendency to be... overly active at the best of times."