Chapter 66: City of Flames

Thick snow had settled during her hours underground. The screams of the sirens continued to bounce off the high stone walls, making it impossible to sense the source. The sky was purple, converging to coral to flaming orange in the distance, staining the snow beneath Seiren's boots a blueish-grey as she crunched across the courtyard. The air was freezing but despite her numb nose, she couldn't smell the stomach-churning cinnamon scent of demon summons.

Butterworth knew. He saw right through her. There was nothing she could do now. She'd bought the citizens maybe an hour or two to escape. However many she'd managed to get out was that many more that didn't get slaughtered by the mages.

"Mage Nithercott!" From seemingly out of nowhere, Tylene appeared at her side, making her jump. She raised her runed gun, scanning the surroundings, her cheeks flushed and terror in her eyes.

"Tylene!" Seiren said in relief. "What's happening? What's with the sirens?"

"You have to get out of here!"

"Are you joking? I'm a mage. I can't run!"

"These things -- they aren't human!"

Wondering if Tylene was referring to demons again, Seiren squinted ahead. The vivid orange and blue sky made the buildings all blend into one solid black shape.

Then she heard the human yells and gunshots.

Seiren took off.

"Mage Nithercott!"

The snow sucked at her feet. Cold air tore at her throat. Her fingers barely had any sensation. She made them tug out several red and orange runes, ignoring the anxiety that Butterworth might pounce from behind any archway and kidnap her. The overhead spotlights, powered by light runes, activated, drowning the second, further courtyard in a white glow. She skidded to a halt after several metres.

Soldiers formed a wall at the far end, backing in her direction. Behind them were mages, their black cloaks swishing, burst and flash magic exploding from their hands and from the sealed defences in the walls. Light flashed with each blast of fire generated, exploding like a shower of fireflies against the darkening dusk sky.

"They're not staying down!" yelled one of the soldiers from near the front. "What are these monsters?"

"Not demons!" said another. Screams punctuated the gunfire for those who didn't withdraw in time.

"North sector, retreat and move the casualties off the front lines!" Brigadier General Grader's booming voice rose above the cacophony. "East sector, ready the cannons!"

"We can't fire within the walls sir; the shrapnel will damage our walls!"

"Mages Culpepper and Woodbead will sort it. Just bring the damn cannons!"

Seiren made it to the front just as the first volley of cannons fired. The booms shook the ground. Snow fell with thumps from overhead when they became dislodged by the sound waves. The glowing cannonball shot across the blinding white courtyard and disappeared into the shadows at the other end before flashing and exploding with shards covered in violet runes. Pieces that hit the stone wall burst into flames, leaving only a blackened mark behind.

"What's going on?" Seiren said, bending down beside Maura as she sketched feverishly on more runes. Her eyes smarted with the smoke and nose wrinkled with the gunpowder stench. Soldiers took the readied runes and applied them to the cannonballs before loading them. "More demons?"

"Not demons," said Maura, gritting her teeth. "Here, take the damn thing!" She shoved another pile at the soldiers.

"They climbed the wall again?"