Chapter 7

"Close the door" he said and I closed it.
"Is something going on? And do not lie to me Reynolds" he said demanding.
"No sir"
"Are you sure? Cause it seems like there's a problem"
"Captain, there's nothing going on. Just family stuff" I said, trying not lose my shit.
"Family stuff... your brother, your father" he said.
I stopped and looked up to him, and rolled my eyes.
"You know nothing about them... or me" I said harshly.
"Reynolds, are you forgetting who's in charge here?" He said giving me a look.
"If you're going to fire me, suspend me, put me on desk duty just do it" I said.
"I'm not going to do any of those things, on one condition." He said walking towards me.
"What" I said waiting.
"You talk to a psychiatrist-"
"Oh you have got to be kidding me?! You think I'm crazy?" I laughed.
"No I don't think you're crazy. I think there's something going on that you're not telling us. So I'm calling Dr. Huang, he's the best I know." He finished.
"And What if I don't agree to this" I said folding my arms.
"You will be put on desk duty" he said.
"No, no I'm not talking to a psychiatrist just cause you want me to" I said.
"Reynolds, ever since your brother showed up here and attacked you? You've been acting out. I won't have it... do I make myself clear" he said angry.
"Yes"
"Good, now get out of my office, and don't even think about slamming the door" he said to me.
I opened the door and walked out. I sat down at my desk and everyone was glancing at me.
I looked up.
"What is there something on my face?" I said sarcastically and everyone just stopped and continued their work.
'That's what I thought'.
*
The next day I walked in I tried to be who I was before all this shit happened.
"Hey" I said smiling to everyone.
"Well someone's in a good mood" Nick joked.
I chuckled, sitting at my desk.
"Oh hey, some guy stopped by and told me to give this to you" Amanda said and dropped an envelope on my desk.
"Did he give you a name?" I asked looking at the envelope.
"Uh, Thomas White, I think it was" she questioned.
"You know him?" Liv asked.
"Um, yeah... I-I know him" I said and cleared my throat.
I shoved it in my desk.
"You're not gonna open it?" Nick asked.
"No, it's um, something that can wait" I said logging into my computer.
"He said it was urgent, to give him a call once you read it" Amanda said to me with raised eyebrows.
I looked up at her.
"Um, okay" I said and took a deep breath as I grabbed it out of my desk.
"Did he tell what it was about?" I asked her staring at it.
"Uh, No, he said you would know what it was" she said sipping her coffee.
"Okay" I whispered, feeling heat on my face.
"you okay?" Liv asked.
"Um... I-I don't know" I said.
"Is it something we should worry about?" She asked.
"Um, no, no... it's um, it's about my fiancée" I said quietly.
They were silent.
"You never told us you were getting married" Olivia said surprised.
"That's cause I don't even know if he's even alive" I said getting up and walking away with the envelope.
I went into the bunks and opened it. I started reading and my heart started to race.
Dear Ms. Alex Reynolds,
Mr. Derek Woods was found on November 25th, 2016. After an explosion, 10 soldiers were pronounced dead, 6 were pronounced M.I.A, including Derek Woods. He was found 100 miles away from the explosion, alive. He will be sent home, with an honorable discharge on December 1st, 2016.
We thank him for his service.
I felt this huge weight off my shoulders. I started to cry, happy tears and I sat down on the bunk. I was smiling through the tears.
I kept reading it over and over. He's alive and he's okay. That's all I cared about.
I dialed the number on the bottom of the letter and got an immediate response.
"Hello?"
"Hi, Sergeant White, i-its Alex Reynolds" I said my voice shaky.
"Oh hi Ms. Reynolds, how are you" he said serious.
"I'm fine. I read the letter. Is it true? Derek's still alive?" I asked.
"Yes ma'am. He's okay, I'm sure you read that he will be discharged, honorably, of course, on December 1st."
"Yes, yes" I said.
"Okay great, also one more thing I wanted to tell you... If it wasn't for him, those other 5 soldiers would've been dead. You got yourself a good man Ms. Reynolds" he said.
"Thank you" I laughed.
"Have a good day" he said
"You too" and I hung up.
I whipped the tears and kept smiling.
Thank god, it's been too long.