The Disappearance

It was getting quite late and Simon's parents had gone to bed already, warning the boys to keep the noise down unless they wanted to be kicked out. The six had been playing various video games for nearly five hours and they were all kind of winding down. None of them wanted their time together to end quite yet though, and one of them had a particular idea on how to infect some more energy into the group

"I know what we need!" he exclaimed loudly, jumping to his feet. "Alcohol!"

Josh rolled his eyes in fondness. "And where are you gonna get alcohol from JJ?" he asked the excited younger boy.

JJ folded his arms cockily and nodded to the dark haired boy. "Not where are we, where are you?" he said with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Vik snickered as he saw Simon team up with his school friend on this one. "He's right, you are eighteen, the point man."

"So are you," Josh shot back.

"But you're still older," Simon retorted teasingly. "Three days is still older, grandpa."

Tobi and Ethan also echoed their agreement to send Josh out to buy beer for them. Vik was quieter, as usual, and he wasn't all that keen on drinking anyway. He is still only fifteen and it wasn't a big priority for him. Annoying Josh could be fun though, so he didn't stick up for him as the oldest turned to him with pleading hazel eyes, merely grinning at him instead.

Josh sighed drastically. "Fine, I hate you all," he mumbled, going to fetch his bag and coat, it was a cold night out. "You don't get to choose though and you all pay me back," he told them moodily as he walked to the door, although Vik knew he and the other boys could tell he wasn't too bothered. Josh would complain and moan but he'd do anything for any of them if they pestered him enough.

"We love you Dad!" they all called out before he shut the door and Vik was startled by JJ jumping on him and initiating a wrestling match. Vik then instantly regretted allowing Josh to leave as he knew he would always help him fight back against a wild JJ, unlike the others who found it hilarious. Tobi eventually stepped up and got JJ in a headlock until Simon hissed at both of them to shut up.

They all sat and just chatted for a while, mostly about school, girls they liked, teachers they hated, rivals they had already made. Tobi took the opportunity now he was gone to tell them about Josh's problems at school. The boy was popular with students and teachers as ever but Tobi could tell he was extra stressed recently.

Vik had to agree. Just by seeing him tonight, Vik noticed the oldest appeared slightly more downcast than usual. Some unknown factor was definitely taking its toll on him.

They continued to chat until Simon glanced at the clock. It was nearly half eleven. Josh had been gone just over half an hour. He shared an uncertain glance with Vik. "Where is he?" he asked the youngest. The nearest shop wasn't that far away and even the second nearest was within ten minutes walking range.

Vik shrugged. "I dunno," he tried to sound casual, but he couldn't help the slight worry creeping into his voice.

They let it go anyway. Josh was probably just caught chatting to someone he knew.

About twenty minutes later Simon let his own concern be fully known. "He should have been back ages ago," he insisted glancing at the clock again.

Five minutes later, and a lot of phone calls later, it was fair to say they were all pretty worried about the lack of Josh.

"I can't get through to him either. It's either off or dead," Ethan said, after he tried calling the older boy once the others had failed to get through.