2016

"Annnd peace!" Simon signed off his video in typical fashion, giving the camera a salute and stopping his recording.

The smile that he had been wearing throughout the majority of his video slowly faded away, just as it always did; the happiness he felt when making a video never quite matched by reality. It did take a while to fade however, as it had been doing more recently.

He was happier. Overall he was just a happier person, and he no longer needed to fake it for the sake of views and not simply being known as the depressed sideman. He preferred simply being known as the tall, blond one, or better still the best at football one.

Hearing screams echoing down the corridor, Simon laughed to himself. He could only imagine what sort of video JJ was recording at that moment. It was insane, how many subscribers his weird school buddy had now, how all of them had really, but none of them were as big as JJ. Ethan always jokingly said it was because people preferred to watch stupid people to make them feel better about themselves. JJ would just call him a rude word that could not be repeated in public.

Thinking of Ethan, the younger boy was supposed to be coming round later on for a collab video with the three house sidemen, something which involved a card game and a fucking load of water.

Should be fun.

Starting the process of getting his footage ready for editing, Simon felt and heard the vibrations of his phone sat on his desk. The screen lit up to reveal the caller: "Dad". That was strange, there were usually set times when he and his dad would call one another and eight o'clock on a Thursday evening was not one of those times.

Picking up the phone with a cheery "Hey Dad," Simon was met with heavy breathing, as if his old man had just got back from the gym.

"Simon." The moment he heard his dad's voice he knew something was up. The man's voice was so serious and so low that it could only mean he had big news.

"Dad?" the young man questioned when there was silence from the other end, his voice quivering as he began to dread the response.

Even after his query there was still more silence, a few stuttered noises before his father finally managed to blurt out his news.

"He's been found Simon," he said simply, voice all shaky, partly from excitement, partly from fear but mostly from downright astonishment. "They've found Josh."

...

...

...

Company. Someone else was with him. Or something. A rat?

It scuttled past the floor near him and he tried to catch a glimpse, but it was too dark.

Probably just a rat. He got a lot down here with him. It was quite nice. Having something else with him.

Then, suddenly...shouts from upstairs. Loud crashes, people crying out. Furniture and doors being broken.

The young man scrambles back to the furthest corner from the door, crouched down low.

Intruders.

There were people coming into his home.

He bared his teeth like a frightened animal at the door, ready to pounce if they got near.

More shouts and then the door swung open, the light temporarily blinding him.

"Holy shit," he hears someone murmur.

The young man narrows his eyes at him once he can see again. He doesn't trust the newcomer.

Shaking himself out of his shock the stranger suddenly starts shouting again. "Guys get down here! Now!"

He doesn't like the sound of that. He didn't feel comfortable with this one stranger, let alone multiple ones.

Pushing himself further against the cold, concrete wall, he glares at the man who, noticing his fear, has crouched down, keeping his distance.

Then he hears a name he hasn't heard in what feels like a life time.

"Josh," the man whispers. "It is Josh, isn't it?"

Yes, it was. That name...that was...that was him.

Just a bit of shameless self promo. I've got a new book up called Our Boys. It's ksimon with a bit of a twist if anyone's interested :)

Thanks again for all the support on this book!