Chapter One

"Peony!" you whisper urgently to your sleeping sister. She stirs in her wheelchair and lifts her head, making a small noise to let you know that she's awake. "Peony," you say softer.

She's only thirteen, paralyzed from the waist down. Even with her disabilities, she goes to Ilvermorny, and is the top of her class. You've always believed in her, always been proud of her.

You place a gentle hand on Peony's shoulder. "Honey, I'm leaving now. I already said goodbye to Mom and Dad. I couldn't leave without seeing you." You give her a small smile. "Goodbye, my little Peony. My little flower."

She reaches up a hand and takes yours. Her palms are cold, but her face is flushed, and you press your hand to her forehead. "Oh, sweetie, you're burning up. You should see Mom about that." You stand up and place a kiss on top of her head.

"Bye, y/n," Peony says sleepily.

You pick up your suitcase from the floor and wheel it out the door behind you, waving to Peony. As soon as the door swings closed, you begin the rather short walk to the docks where you will board the boat to England.

You are a half-blood, with a witch mother and Muggle father. You and Peony are both witches, you having been a Thunderbird and her being a Pukwudgie. Being twenty-five years old yourself, you've always cared for Peony as if she were your own daughter.

A bell rings, and you look up from the damp pavement to see that you are nearing the docks. After flashing your ticket and straightening your flowing peasant blouse, you clear your throat and board the boat.

Once everyone has boarded, a horn blares, and the boat starts to move. You wobble and hold your arms out to steady yourself. It's going to be a long ride, y/n, you think to yourself, sinking into a seat on the deck.