Chapter Five

As Newt shows you around, you can really see the connection he has with these animals. He looks at all of them with love and understanding in his eyes, knowing exactly what they want. They're not pets to him, more like family.

But when you reach another one of the habitats, Newt stops dead in his tracks and drops the bucket of food he'd been carrying. "What is it?" you ask, concerned, as you lower the quill to your side.

Newt struggled to find works. "Th-they're gone." He sank to his knees. "They're gone," he repeated.

"Who? Wh-what's gone?" You kneel down beside him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "What's wrong, Newt?"

"Someone...someone must have taken them," Newt mutters. You don't know if he's talking more to you or himself. "They must have come here and lured them out. I would never let them escape."

"I know," you say. You can tell that Newt is heartbroken, and you brush some of his light brown hair out of his eyes. "Newt, it will be okay. I'll help you find them."

He turns his gaze up at you, and you see the smallest glimmer of hope in his bright blue eyes. "Thank you," he says gratefully. "Thank you very much." He gets up, swipes a bit at his eyes, and picks up the bucket again. "If you will kindly excuse me, I need to see if there is anything else missing." And he walks away, leaving you on the ground, alone.

Your hands fall to your sides. This poor man, who treats these animals like family - like his own brothers and sisters and children - is devastated. And you vow, right there, that you will help him. And you will get those fantastic beasts back, no matter the cost.

***

Once Newt's work is done, he meets you back near where you first entered the case. "There's loads more missing," he whispers softly. This time, he lets the tears fall instead of holding them back.

"Oh, Newt," you cry, pulling him into a hug. Sure, you've only just met him, but he needs help. "It's okay."

He only shakes his head silently, putting his face in his hands.

A little green stick-bug-looking creature crawls out of the magizoologist's pocket and scurries onto his shoulder. Newt manages a small smile. "This is Pickett," he says quietly to you.

"Lovely to meet you," you say to the Bowtruckle. "Don't worry, I'll get your family back," you murmur. And you don't even know who you're talking to, Pickett or Newt.