Chapter Eight

The man rips the case out of your hand, and you scream into his palm. "Ah, ah, ah," he scolds you teasingly, "you need to stay quiet. If you ever want to see your precious beasts again."

You stop struggling for a few seconds, shocked. So this is the person that took Newt's creatures!

"Good, that's it," the man says, speaking to you in the same manner one would speak to a child. "Now, come with me."

He wraps a rough cloth around your eyes and ties your hands together, leading you by your elbow. You stumble a few times; he's dragging you so fast. "Where are we going?" you whisper softly, seeing as you captor has removed his hand from your mouth.

"Somewhere special," is the disappointing reply. "Now, stop talking. Nobody can know we're here."

Wood creaks under your shoes, and you hear other people talking. "Just getting ready for the show later," your abductor says in a loud and slightly cheerful voice. You hear murmurs of approval. How could anyone approve of this?

Finally, you head down a few stairs and the blindfold is taken off. A candle is lit and you can see your captor's face.

His features are sharp and defiant, as if drawn with charcoal. Dark eyes bore into yours. You hear the sound of metal rattling and look toward the noise. "What was that?"

The man waves his hand, approaching you again. "Don't worry about it." He takes your hands and begins to lead you in the direction of the noise. You try to plant your feet in the ground, but he's too strong.

You can now see, in the faint firelight, over twenty metal cages along the walls. The room is bigger than you imagined. Behind the bars, you can see Newt's beasts. Huge Erumpets shake their heads and stomp the ground, until the man who brought you here takes out a wand and flicks it. The Erumpets cower as if in pain. "What are you doing to them? Where am I?" you demand, marching up to him. Instead of an answer, you get shoved backwards - into another cage. The door slams shut and locks.

The man gives you a wicked smile. "Oh, my dear, you're the star of our show." He waves his wand and ropes are wrapped around you. Your legs give out and you fall to the ground.

"Newt!" you scream, hoping that he's here somewhere. "Newt!"

But your cries are only met with dark laughter.