Chapter Two

You jerk awake late at night to the sound of a horn blaring again. You scan your surroundings and see that you've reached England. Scrambling to pick up your suitcase, you bump into a few of the other passengers. You can't tell just by looking at them if they're No-Majs or not, but you don't take any chances and slip your wand into your pocket.

As the crowd of people files off of the ship, you search for the driver who was supposed to pick you up and take you to your hotel. You don't know what kind of car they would have, or what they would look like, but presumably they would be holding a sign that had your name on it. Scanning the crowd, you see no such thing.

"Damn it," you say under your breath, and start walking toward the sidewalk. Maybe there you can find someone kind enough to give you a ride. And then you remember that you can't recall the address of the hotel. "Damn it!" you say again, rather loudly setting your suitcase down on the ground and sitting on top of it.

People rush around you, paying no mind to you. It's almost as if you're invisible. You sniff and put your face in your hands, fighting back tears. You don't know anybody here, and now you're lost. You don't know what to do.

"Um...excuse me," a soft voice says from above you.

I must not be invisible, you say to yourself.

You move your hands away from your face and blink, looking up for the source of the voice. The first thing you see is a pair of brilliant blue eyes.

There's a man crouching down in front of you.

"A-are you all right?" he asks. He doesn't seem to be quite meeting your gaze, his eyes darting around as if he has somewhere to be.

You sniff again. "Define all right." You try to put on a smile, but it just won't come.

"What's the m-matter?" His voice is one of the most beautiful things you've ever heard.

Well, he is one of the most beautiful things you've ever seen.

"I'm from America," you explain. "I've come here to do some...research. On animals."

His face lights up. "Really? Animals are my speciality!"

A smile breaks out across your face.

"Well," you continue, "I don't know where my driver or my hotel is. I'm at a loss of what to do."

"I-I'd be happy to take you. You know...if you'd like..." the beautiful man says with a small smile. "I'm Newton. Newt Scamander."