Chapter Nine

You're being shaken awake by a rough, urgent hand. You groan and stretch your aching limbs. "What is it?" you say in a grumpy voice, even though you really don't want to hear what your kidnapper has to say.

"Y/n," a soft voice says instead, "open your eyes. I need to know that you're okay."

Your muddled brain doesn't comprehend this. Why would this evil man want to know if you're okay? He's the one who threw you in this cell, anyways.

Coughs wrack your body as you sit up and blink your eyes open. A face comes into focus - a handsome, kind, loving face. "Newt!" you yell, flinging your arms around him. "Oh, Newt, you came back for me, I knew you would..." You're just babbling like a child now, not even understanding what you're saying.

Newt presses his lips to yours in a firm kiss. That sure shuts you up. He's holding you in his lap, your face in his hands. "You're okay, y/n. You're okay," he says, rocking you back and forth. It sounds like he's not only talking to you, but assuring himself as well.

You almost drift off to the sound of his voice, but Newt shakes you again, more gentle this time. "Come on. We have to get out of here."

"How did you find me?" you ask as he pulls you to your feet.

"Well, Hufflepuffs are very good finders." He grins at you.

You tilt your head to the side. "I don't get it."

Newt waves it off. "Never mind. I left early in the morning to try and find them. I expected to be back pretty soon; I didn't want to worry you. But then Pickett-" he gestures to the little green Bowtruckle in his pocket "-started to chase someone...it was the same man who brought you here. So I followed him and stayed hidden." Newt whispers a quick spell to unlock the cell doors. "I couldn't bear to see what he did to you, but I had to wait until after he left to come get you."

"Wow," you breathe. That's all you can say.

"We need to get them all back in the case," Newt says, referring to the beasts. "I overheard some of their conversations, they plan on using them for some sort of twisted circus performance." You can hear the disgust and loathing in Newt's voice as he says this.

He then stops short and looks at you. "Where...where is the case?"

Your stomach drops.

"I have no idea."