Chapter Ten

Squeezing Newt's hand, you say, "What if we go up those stairs?"

He looks at you. "Y/n, that's where they are. It's a pub, you see...they're putting on a show for a bunch of drunk idiots. And they're all Muggles."

"Muggles?" you ask, not familiar with the term.

"Non-magic people."

"Oh, you mean No-Majs. I understand." You peer up the stairs. "Well, maybe someone up there has the case and is planning to get more of your creatures."

Newt's jaw clenches. "Well, I'll go up there, then. They can't know that you're awake."

You shake your head. "Newt, you don't know what they might do to you. I have to come with you. We'll get the case, then get your beasts and leave. And we need to report this place to someone-"

"The Ministry of Magic," Newt says, glancing at you. "That's our magical government."

You nod. "Alright. Shall we go?"

Newt takes a deep breath. "I don't see why not."

"Wait..." You stop walking. "Newt, you go ahead. I'm going to let the beasts out."

"Maybe I should do it," Newt says. "They won't run away from me." He points his wand at one of the locks. "Alohamora." Nothing happens. "Alohamora," he says again.

"It's not working," you groan. "Damn it. Damn it all!"

"No, no, y/n, wait." Newt holds up a finger. Pickett scurries down his arm and onto the lock, getting to work. Eventually, the door swings open.

"Bowtruckles can pick locks," you breathe. "Brilliant."

"Go, y/n. Find the case and bring it down here."

You nod and race up the stairs.

In the pub, the lights are blinding. Men and women sit at cracked wooden tables, roaring with drunken laughter and slamming their fists. You glance around and see your captor speaking to another man. By his foot is the case.

You sneak closer, and as you do, you hear him say, "This show should bring in a lot of money. Watching that woman getting beaten up by those beasts is gonna be priceless."

The other man laughs. "I bet. These Muggles don't know nothing, do they?" Both men scan the crowd.

You snatch the case and pull it closer.

The man your captor was speaking to sees you out of the corner of his eye. "Hey! What you up to, missy?"

Your kidnapper spins around and meets your eyes. "That's her! The one who's supposed to be in my show!"

Both men start to chase you and you grab the case. Spectators laugh and cheer.

You race onto the stairs and slam the door behind you, breathing hard. "Newt! Help!" you call to him.

His voice floats up the stairs to meet your ears. "Coming, y/n!"

But the door breaks down and the two men enter.