Chapter Three

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Scamander," you say, regaining your composure. You straighten your shirt once again and stand up. He's still a few inches taller than you. "Thank you for your time." You can't seem to stop staring at his eyes.

He smiles a bit nervously. "It's, um, it's no problem. Do you know the address of the...the place?"

You shake your head and your stomach sinks as you remember the situation. "No. Sorry, it's not much to work with."

Now he's really not meeting your eyes, looking right at your pocket. You glance down, too. The tip of your wand is poking out. "Oh!" you say quietly, pushing it back down.

Scamander flicks his eyes upwards to meet your gaze for a moment. "That's nothing," you say quickly, waving it off.

"No." He shakes his head with a small smile. "You're a witch."

Your jaw drops. "Um...no! How d-dare you accuse me of such things?" Now you're the one stuttering.

His smile only grows larger.

"Don't worry," he whispers, flashing something in his hand for a moment.

A wand.

You let out a long breath. "You're a wizard." He nods, staring down at the pavement. Now it's your turn to ask what's wrong. "Hey, what's the matter?"

"N-nothing," he says quickly. "Don't worry about me. I just..." He glances at you. "I don't spend much time with people..." His voice dies down.

"Oh!" you say, relieved that nothing else is wrong. "That's alright. I won't bite," you say with a small smile. He returns it for a moment. "Anyways, you said you study animals as well?"

You can tell he's fallen right back into his comfort zone. "Oh, yes. I'm a magizoologist."

"That's..." You try to stop yourself from saying amazing, but it ends up coming out anyways. "That's amazing."

His face softens and he smiles again.

"I'm here to write a book, actually," you continue. "On magical creatures."

"Me too!" Newt exclaims. "I've been...rescuing them. Protecting them. And doing research."

"Amazing," you say again. "Mr. Scamander, you are one amazing man."

He gives you a full-on smile.