Chapter Four

"Well, um..." Newt ruffles his already messy chestnut hair. "Would you like to meet a few of mine?"

"Your what?"

"Creatures."

Your heart races. He's asking you to do something with him! You bite back a grin. "Yes, of course! I'm sure they'd be great to research for my book." Yeah, as if that's the only reason I want to go with you, you think. "Thank you."

"Of course." Newt glances around and, placing his hand on your arm, guides you to an empty alley. Your skin tingles at his touch. Once in the shade of the tall buildings near you, Newt sets down the brown leather case he's been carrying and opens in up.

"Woah," you breath as you look down into it. "That's huge. Did you put an Extension Charm on it?"

Newt shrugs. "If so, I'm not the one who did it. Someone...gave it to me." He glances down, and you can tell he doesn't want to elaborate. "Well, come with me." He takes your hand in his and threads his fingers through yours.

Chills shoot up you spine.

Newt steps into the case and you do as well, landing on a wooden surface.  It's the floor of a sort of house, inside the case. "Amazing!" you blurt. "This is fantastic!"

"Not as fantastic as this," Newt says as he pulls aside a curtain.

There, outside, are his beasts.

Giant Erumpets that you've only heard of before lumber around. "Budimuns and Bowtruckles and Billywigs...oh my," you say. Newt squeezes your hand and grins, leading you outside to see them.

While he explains some of their traits to you, you can't help but notice that his stutter has completely gone away. You can tell that he's really comfortable with these animals, more so than with people. "You really love them, huh?"

"Oh, yes," Newt says, stooping to pick up a fluffy little creature.

"And who's this?" you ask, folding your arms over your chest as you lean a bit closer.

"It's a Niffler. They're native to England." The animal squirms in his hands, trying to escape. "He loves anything shiny. Better watch your jewelry." Newt gestures toward your neck, where a locket given to you by your sister Peony hangs. You tuck it into your shirt, and Newt sets the Niffler down. It scurries off.

"Oh, hang on!" you say. "Do you have any paper? Would you mind if I took notes? I want to educate wizards and witches on more British beasts."

"I don't mind at all," Newt says, handing you a quill.