In the Woods

By this point in my life I was something of an expert at being chased.  When the chase started I set the stop watch on my Timex Ironman because I needed to keep up with how much time had passed.  I knew that most criminals didn't run too far after they were out of sight of their pursuers, but tried to hide.  I also knew that those chasing me knew this so there was no way I would consider trying to lay low.  I wouldn't do this anyway, but knowing what I did on this subject removed any doubt about how to play this.  The other thing I knew is that those chasing me soon attempt to establish a perimeter to contain me in.  In a heavily wooded area like this that perimeter would likely be set up at a road, river, or rail road crossing, perhaps even the clearing where high power cables passed through the area.  What they would look for was a place they could set up where they had a long line of visibility to see me pass through.  So far I hadn't encountered anything like that, but knew that I had to keep pushing until I found that spot.  I could not rest until I crossed that perimeter line.

When I finally reached a road I felt like I couldn't run another step.  I did stop at the road because though there were more woods across the road from me, off to my right I could see a house.  If I crossed here it was possible someone from the house would see me.  If that happened the chase would reset here and that would negate all that I had done to establish this diversionary lead.  I had the option of staying on this side of the road and moving further away from the house before crossing.  This would have been the safest thing to do, however I felt a compelling need to cross that road now.  Though it was broad day light, I got down on the ground and crawled out of the woods and across the road.  Someone from the house would still be able to see me as I crawled, but I would be much harder to see so low to the ground.

Once across the road and into the woods I stood and ran into the trees.  I'd made it about fifty feet back when I heard the powerful engine that could only be a police car.  I dropped to the ground and let it pass, then got up and started walking deeper into the woods.  I couldn't run any more, but I doubted I needed to.  A little over an hour had passed and I was on the other side of the first possible perimeter.  For now, I felt safe, but I needed to keep moving.  Distance was my best friend now.  That and not being seen by anyone.

Fifteen minutes after I crossed the road I heard a helicopter.  I wasn't able to see the helicopter but had an idea of where it was from its sound.  From the sound it was flying a search pattern on the other side of the road.  I sat my pack down and pulled out a fresh quart of Gatorade and used it to fill a canteen with a belt clip.  I changed into a good pair of camouflage pants and an Army green t-shirt.  I was already wearing a good set of hiking boots.  I then stuffed a few protein bars in my cargo pockets and clipped the canteen to my belt.  I hefted the pack to my back then sprayed capstan on the spot I'd set the pack and the area I had changed in.  Certain I had made it outside the containment zone and well equipped for a few weeks in the woods I felt pretty smug as I began walking again.  It was unfortunate that I'd lost the Tahoe and given them a fresh spot to look for me, but it wasn't too bad in that I was about forty miles from home.  I had a good compass, a detailed area map and a GPS receiver so I could find my way home.  It wouldn't be easy since there were mountains, hills and at least one major river between me and home, but there was no hurry.  I just need to get there before the year 2000.