Ch.24: Promise?

I sat in the living room surrounded by Dean, Ellen, Jo, Bobby, and Sam. "Alright, big boy." Ellen teased Castiel, motioning towards the line of shots in front of him. Cas took all 5 shots in a row while Ellen and me just stared at him. "I think I'm starting to feel something." He said. I just blew excessive air out of my nose before taking a sip of my drink, grimacing at the strong taste of vodka. If they get to drink, so do I. And I quite think I need it right about now. "It's gotta be a trap, right?" I heard Sam ask from Bobby's desk. Of course it's a trap, you retard. It's always a trap. "Sam Winchester, having trust issues with a demon. Well, better late than never." "Thank you again for your continued support." "You're welcome." Dean smirked as they hit their beer bottles together. "You know, trap or no trap, we got a snowball's chance, we gotta take it, right?" "Yeah, I suppose." "Besides, I'm not sure it is a trap. Check it out. I mean, Carthage is lit up like a Christmas tree with Revelation omens. And look at this. There's been six missing persons reported, in town, since Sunday. I think the devil's there." "Okay." "Look, when you think about it...you can't come with." I could basically hear Sam roll his eyes. "Look, I go against Satan and screw the pooch, okay. We've lost a game piece. That we can take. But if you're there, then we are handing the devil's vessel right over to him. That's not smart." "Since when have we ever done anything smart?" That is true. "I'm serious, Sam." "So am I. Haven't we learned a damn thing? If we're gonna do this, we're gonna do it together." I looked over to find them having a stand off. After a few minutes, Dean finally looked away, "Okay. But it's a stupid frigging idea." It really is. After Cas finished downing drinks, barely getting buzzed, he came and sat down on the couch next to me. "I thought it is not allowed for teenagers to drink alcohol." He said to me. I snorted, "It's not allowed to do most of the stuff we do." "I guess that is true." I took another sip, looking at the people on the room. Sam was looking at papers, occasionally taking a sip of beer while Bobby and Ellen were laughing with each other. "Have you ever heard the story of Lucifer?" Cas randomly asked. "Yeah, he loved God. God told him boo-hoo, then sent him away. What more is there to know?" "There's a lot that you should know. He was the angel of music. My brothers and sisters would say they could hear flutes when he talked. The day he was made, our father made an instrument. Just for him." "So?" I asked. "You will understand when the time comes." Cas said. "Everybody get in here! It's time for the lineup. Usual suspects in the corner." Everyone slowly made their way to where Bobby was setting up the camera. "Oh come on, Bobby. Nobody wants their picture taken." Ellen complained. "Hear, hear." Sam agreed. "Shut up. You're drinking my beer." He said. You got us there. Sam and Dean were in the back, Ellen, Jo, and Cas were in the middle, and Bobby was in front of Jo while I stood in front of Castiel. "Anyway, I'm gonna need something to remember your sorry asses by." He said as he wheeled back. We all started to smile, getting ready for the picture. "Ha! Always good to have an optimist around." Ellen joked. "Bobby's right. Tomorrow we hunt the devil. This is our last night on earth." I lost my smile at the thought of never seeing them again, only to have the camera go off. Way to ease my concerns, Cas. We all left the corner, an awkward weight in the air. I went to my seat, grabbing my cup, downing everything in it.

"Have you heard anything from them?" I heard Joey ask Bobby from downstairs. I slowly opened my eyes, ignoring the throbbing in my head. "No. I've called them a few times, but nothing." Making my way downstairs, I walked to the living room. "Joey?" I asked, still surprised at the sight of him. "Hey, loser." He shot me a 'your dad is definitely going to die and i'm really sorry about that' smile. "What are you doing here? I thought you were on a hunt." I asked, walking to the kitchen to grab water. He followed me. "Dean called me. Said he didn't want you to be alone." "I'm not alone, I have Bobby." I said. He shot me a look, "You know what I mean, retard." I chugged half of my water before walking to the cupboards, looking for anything to eat. I pulled out an empty bag of pretzel, "You've gotta be kidding me." I muttered. "You know what sucks? Not having any good food in the house." I said to Joey, walking past him. "What do you want to eat?" He said in a bored voice, grabbing his truck keys. "Seriously?" I asked. "Seriously." I smiled widely, "Pretzels. And a cheeseburger." He leaned down, kissing my on the cheek. "I'll be back in half an hour." He said before leaving.