Chapter 9

Amnesia, that's what I have. That's why I can only remember this past year, and why I forgot everyone in this room.

But they didn't forget me, they should have.

------------------

"Is it bad, Brock?"

"Well, depends on your definition of bad. Evan has had amnesia for a year, so it has gone from minor to major. Which means that instead of his memory coming back within a matter of 1-3 months, his memory could come back anywhere between 4-8 months, as long as it doesn't get any worse and become permanent."

"I just wanted a simple yes or no."

"That's not how medical science works."

"Well it should."

"Then maybe you should have invented it, Tyler."

"Maybe I did."

Brock rolled his eyes at Tyler as he went back to the living room where Evan was sat on the couch. He looked up at him as Brock started to put away his equipment that was laid out on the table.

"So, what's wrong with me?"

Brock stopped, sighing, he hated hearing the innocence in his friend's voice. He just didn't seem like him. "Physically? You're perfectly fine, but you have a major case of amnesia that has been active for a year, so it will take longer for you to remember anything from before this past year."

"Oh."

"Don't sound so sad about it, you'll remember. I promise, we're all gonna help you."

"But what if I never remember? You said that my amnesia is major, so what if it never goes away? What if I never remember anything before this past year? What if-"

"Don't worry, you'll get your memory back. And when you do, you'll realize you were worrying about nothing, ok?"

"Ok."

------------

Later that night the guys ordered a pizza and told Evan a little bit about themselves to try and jog his memory. It didn't really work immediately but Brock said it could help him remember faster if he knew more.

They watched Evan's favorite movie, even though it scared the shit out of the guys, and Evan enjoyed it. He had remembered the movie, laughing at parts he would normally laugh at, and would crack up when the guys screamed at the jump scares. It was a good first day back.

When the guys had decided to go to bed, they panicked, wondering where Evan should sleep since he had shared a room with Jonathan before he 'died'. Fortunately they were lucky since Evan had fallen asleep on the couch. Sighing, they left Evan peacefully sleeping on the couch as they went to bed, tired after a long day.

And Jonathan knew he was going to have to tell Evan the truth tomorrow. And there was no avoiding it.

--------------

Smack.

He held his gasp from the sudden pain as it exploded  throughout his back. He had to be strong, he couldn't let these people see how much pain he was in.

He just had to wait for his friends, everything would be fine once his friends got here.

He had been distracted so he couldn't hear what the man in front of him had said, so he received another hit, causing him to cough up blood, the dark red liquid staining the already dirty floor. A few drops of  blood stuck to his bottom lip, occasionally dripping onto the floor.

"You're stubborn, I hate the stubborn ones." The man's thick accent was barely understandable, and when he spoke, spit came flying out of his mouth, landing on his face. Disgusting.

Suddenly, there was shouting outside and gunfire, very loud gunfire. He heard the accented man mumble an angry 'shit' before there was banging on the door.

Thinking quickly, the man hit his head, turning his vision all blurry from his already in pain state. He saw the man exit through a side door as the door opened. His friends rushed in and got him down, he tried to stand but ended up falling down, passing out before he hit the ground.

~~~~~

He jolted awake, trying to figure out where he was until a familiar voice calmed him down.

"It's ok, Vanoss. You're safe, you're with us. You're fine."

He nodded at Tyler's words as he calmed down, remembering his friends had rescued him. Slowly, he felt pain throughout his entire body, specifically his head, which felt like a bus had hit his skull it hurt so much. But it was ok, because he was with his friends again, he was fine. And he didn't tell the people who took him anything they wanted to know, even though it hurt like hell.

But protecting his friends is worth going to hell for, because they're family to him. And you don't give up on family.

He drifted off back to sleep as the guys drove him home.

----------------

Evan woke up with a start as he looked around him, forgetting where he was for a few seconds until he remembered. He was with friends, it was ok. Except Evan was now on the floor instead of the couch, he must have fallen off of it while he was sleeping.

Evan thought about the dream he had, it was so vivid, like it was real. Maybe it was? Maybe this was his first memory, why it was that particular memory Evan wasn't sure, but he did have a few ideas as he thought about it.

He was being tortured, most likely for information about his friends, but he had refused and had been beaten. He was stubborn.

He.

Was.

Stubborn.

His first trait he learned about himself, he's stubborn! Most people wouldn't be excited about that, but to someone with amnesia? Well, it's a dream come true.

Thinking back to the dream, he remembered how his friends had broken into where ever he was guns blazing, no questions asked. And the way they immediately picked him up when he passed out and was about to hit the ground. Then when he had woken up in the van, panicked and confused, Tyler had calmed him down and told him it was ok. Like what a brother would say to a sibling when they were scared.

That's what they were to him, they were a family, a family of misfits but it was ok because they had each other to keep them company. Evan smiled as he realized he could trust these people with his life, because they had once trusted him with theirs.

But maybe he should keep this first memory to himself.