Minseok

“Oppa, make me a snowman!” You smiled, holding up a snowball to Minseok. The little boy stopped what he was doing and turned to look at you. He pouted and reluctantly walked over to you – it wasn’t like he wanted to refuse you, just that he couldn’t or else his mum would scold him later, little Minseok thought bitterly. He sighed and walked over to you and placed his hands on his hips, “D-don’t bother me then, okay? O-or else I-I won’t make your snowman,” he huffed, taking the snowball from your hands.

You nodded eagerly and watched as he added more snow to your snowball before beginning to roll it around on the ground and then around the garden. You watched in amazement as the size of the ball grew larger and larger, clapping happily and cheering Minseok on, “Go Oppa! Yay!” He only mumbled and kept rolling it until the ball was almost half a metre high.

“There,” he said, brushing the snow off his hands, “Just the right size for you.” You ran over and hugged him around the neck, and smiled at him.

“Thank you, Oppa!” You said and skipped happily over to the large snowball, beginning to make a smaller one for the snowman’s head. He watched as you made a lumpy ball of snow, rolling it around on the ground to make it larger and patting more snow onto it before slowly lifting it carefully on top of the larger snowball.

Minseok rolled his eyes and went back to making his snow fort. When he heard you shout at him, he looked over his shoulder feeling a little annoyed but replied, “Whaaat?”

“Look, look! My snowman has a hat and a face!” You laughed, “I’m going to tell mum to take a picture of us!” Before running indoors to ask your mother.

***

Minseok flipped through the photo albums spread out around him on the floor. Almost every picture had you in it, smiling brightly at the camera. He found the picture of when you two were younger, standing with the snowman between the two of you. He chuckled and closed the photo album and leaned back on his hands.

“Ah, where are you now?” He whispered to the air.

***

As he wiped the cup in his hands, the bell of the door rang as another customer came into the coffee shop. Minseok looked up to glance at who it was; a girl who was looking around the shop before approaching the counter. The other staff members had gone on a lunch break so he was the only one left at work. He set the cup down among the other cups and wiped his hands on his apron, “Hello, How may I help you today?” He asked politely.

You looked up at him and wondered what you should get. There was a variety of sweets displayed in the glass counter and you drooled at the sight of them. “What… do you recommend?” You asked shyly.

Minseok looked down through the glass and pointed out a particular cake, “Perhaps the blueberry cheesecake would interest you?” He suggested. You shook your head and made a face.

“No… I don’t really like cheesecake…” You mumbled.

“Hmm, then would you like to try our new Chocolate Swirl Delight?” He said, pointing at the triangle slice of chocolate cake, marbled with swirls of vanilla like its name. Vanilla cream decorated its surface topped with a curl of fine chocolate. You nodded and also ordered a hot mocha with the cake.

You watched as he – Minseok, read his nametag – reached into the cabinet and pulled out a slice of the cake and placed it on a white plate, painted with the name of the coffee shop. He bustled about preparing the drink, operating the coffee machine and brewing the coffee with expert ease, his hands moving in fluid motions of a trained barista.

Minseok brought the drink over, tapped a few keys into the register and gave you the price, “That will be $5.65, please.” You rummaged through your bag for your wallet and paid for everything, before taking the cake in one hand and drink in another.