Chapter:1

I finished work and went to the rundown barn. I brushed my horse off and put him in a loose stall. He nickered before I gave him a sugar cube.

Five o'clock on a Friday night. I got into my truck and drove into town. First the feed store. I walked in and Mr. Dowel knew exactly what I needed. I paid my usual amount and the bed of my f-250 was filled with cattle and horse feed.

He wished me well and closed up. I spotted the only guy I ever dated. He's the reason I come to town once a week because he's everywhere. I drove to the grocery store and got what I needed for the week.

Once I had everything I went to get a cold drink. It's not every week I go, it's more like a once a month thing. I pulled in and parked near the back. The men I went to high school with never bothered me no matter what.

I walked in and found a seat away from everyone. My friend came up and sat in front of me. "Hey how was your week?" She asked. "Too short." I told her chuckling.

The place went quiet. Boots hitting the floor slowly caught my attention. I took a sip of my low alcoholic drink and set it back down. The boots stopped near me.

I looked up at my friend as I took another sip. She had an odd look on her face. I ignored the fact that a guy was right standing next to me.

"Would you like to dance sweetheart?" His voice was deep and sounded like he was wanting a one night stand. I looked at my friend once more. She stood up and walked away.

I continued to sip my drink waiting for him to leave me alone. "All I'm asking is yes or no." He said with a serious tone.

"Then no I don't want to." I said standing. He backed up a little. "I don't mean to upset you miss." He said. "Then why don't you walk away and leave me alone." I said. He turned and walked away.

I sat back down wishing I never came tonight. Someone sat down in front of me as the music started back up. A throat cleared making me look up. It was the same guy.

"All the drinks you buy tonight I'll pay for." He told me. "Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to be left alone." I told him. "Fine. I'll leave you alone, but you have to dance with me to the next song." He said.

I sat back in my seat trying to finish my one drink so I could leave quickly. The song came on before I was finished. He held out his hand and led me to the dance floor.

Just my luck it was a slow song. The keeper of the stars by Tracy Byrd. He took both hands and led me around. I knew most of the guys were staring at us. Never since senior year have I danced with a guy.

Once the song was over he led me back to my seat. I finished the rest of my drink before getting up and leaving. Once outside the frigid Texas air nipped at my nose.

I pulled my coat closer to me as I walked to my truck. "Wait. I never got your name." I stopped and turned. There came the guy jogging over. "Why would you need my name?" I asked.

"In case I ever run into you again or something happens to you." He answered. "Becky. Becky Vearwood." I told him. "Riley Bradford." He told me.

I nodded. "I had fun tonight despite how the night started." He said. "Partially the same." I told him. He came closer. Then walked with me to my truck. "I don't trust drunk men with beautiful women." He said once we got to it.

"I've never really trusted men." I told him. "That doesn't bother me." He said opening the door and closing it after I was in. Every guy in his town never messes with me. Unless their from out of town.

I went home and took the still cold groceries in my house. I put them away and got a hot shower. Once I was out I got onto the computer and logged into Facebook. I searched his name only finding one in Guthrie, Tx.

I clicked on the profile going through his feed. It was mostly about family and his life living on the ranch. I checked my feed before my notifications then going to bed.

I got up the next morning and fed cattle and horses. They all munched on their cake and grain while I refilled their hay. I went out and fixed fence then ate lunch and got back to work.

Once the sun was down I went back to my house. I fixed myself leftovers from two nights ago and got a shower before watching the news. Even though I'm all alone out here I feel like both is holding me down or back.

I don't need a man to make me happy. All I need is wide open spaces and nothing to tie me down.