Chapter:18

I finished lunging a colt and put a reinless bridle on him then let him out  in the paddock near the barn. I watched as him and three others buck, squeal, and crow hop around trying to shake the bridles. I took one that was already bridle trained and stuck sand bags on his back. He snorted and sidestepped. 

Its been a complete month since I've gained my sight and I've gotten back to training colts and breeding horses. Every now and then Raely will come by to see if I need any help catching up on my colt training. Once I was done leading the colt around I took his bridle off and replaced it with his leather halter. 

I put him out in the empty paddock before putting two just gelded horses in there too. They greeted each other and pranced around having fun. A cloud of dust over the hill told me someone was heading this way. I saw the black trail blazer before realizing it was my parents. As quick as I could I whistled for Caliber. He galloped over to the fence. I hopped onto his back from the fence and kicked my heels. He sprinted off before slowing down loping around the mares and a few fillies. 

My parents got out along with a man I didn't recognize. He was tall and lean with short cropped hair. He looked more like a geek or a nerd than anything. I then saw Riley in his ranch pickup coming down the drive. He parked out front of the barn as I rode to the back gate. I slid off Caliber's back and climbed over the fence before running down the isle to him. 

He scooped me up in his arms like he does every night when he comes over to eat. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he picked me up. "How's my punkin?" He asked. "Better when your around." I answered. He kissed my cheek before setting me down. "Come. Lets go find out what we're eating tonight. Whether it be leftovers or a new dish to sink our teeth into." Riley said trying to imitate someone British from Shakespeare.

I laughed as he put his arm around me leading the way to the house. My parents looked stunned as I walked up to the front steps with him. Yes I admit that he's cute and a looker but he spends more time on the ranch and less time in town so he really doesn't have a social life unless you count the families living on the ranch.

My parents entered the house without knocking and stormed into the kitchen. "Your moving off this ranch and back to town with us." My mom declared. "Was never a city dweller." I told her. "These people are cruel holding you against your will." She stated. "Nope. I'm free to come and go as I please. You two on the other hand wouldn't let me out of your sights until I was a senior in high school." I stated. I could feel my temper rising. Its that temper when someone ticks you off enough that you just want them gone completely from your life. 

I knew Riley was watching from the corner with his drink close to his mouth. "Oh and who's that man standing outside like he doesn't know where to go without GPS?" I asked. "Your fiance." My dad said. "I'm not engaged to that scrawny thing. I'm sure I could knock him flat on his butt if he ever did wrong to me. Then he would sue me for laying a hand on him and say that I was abusive when he was the one that provoked it. And another thing is that I'm not leaving. My life actually turned around once I stepped foot onto this ranch.

"I haven't had an alcoholic beverage in over a year, I've actually started going to church every Sunday and help with the children's department on Wednesday evenings, I'm making a lot more money here than any job I've had, so now I can say that my life has been better on this ranch than before I even stepped foot on it." I said moving towards them. "You will not backtalk us young lady." My mother said. "Says the one who showed up uninvited. I don't want you around, I don't need you around. I'm a big girl I can take care of myself without my parents help." I said before feeling an arm encircle my waist. 

I calmed a bit as Riley's arm encircled me. He gently pulled me back to his chest. "Sir I've actually became friends with your daughter and she can handle herself quite fine out here. She's not the only one here that trains horses for the ranch. Mrs. Long trains colts and fillies for ranch use. Becky here trains show horses and sells her own stock if not needed by the ranch to high dollar cowboys and cowgirls. I believe she can make it just fine without you, your wife, and that scrawny little wimp still sitting outside. 

"You have less than five minutes to be off the ranch and away from the property before I call Security on y'all." Riley said from behind me. My father glared at him. "You have no right to kick us out. This is our daughter, not your wife. You have three minutes before we call security on you." My father stated. "I am security. My father is the ranch manager. He can tell the big boss and have you removed permanently from the ranch." Riley told him moving me behind him. He's a good foot and a half taller than my five, two height. 

That made my mother run out the door. My father glared at Riley before leaving in just as much haste as my mother. Once they were gone out of the house I wrapped my arms around Riley and buried my head in his muscular back. "Thank you for getting rid of him." I told him. He turned around in my arms. "Anything for my punkin." He said before leaning down to kiss my forehead.