Chapter:14

I sat there wi my Braille bible in my lap reading it as the plane took off. It had taken at least two hours to have the flight boarded after driving to Amarillo. Riley stopped my hand. "Relax punkin. Let God do what he wants to do. If he doesn't want this to work then he'll do it on his own will. If he wants you to see light and colors then that's his will." He said. I laid my head on his shoulder. Barrow was the right size to go on the plane with me in the passenger area.

The almost four hour flight had already begun. It was four in the afternoon by the time we reached the airport and six by the time we were boarding the flight. It should be about ten to ten thirty by the time we get to the airport in New York.

I closed my bible. Riley kept my hand in his. "Get a little rest. You'll probably be up late tonight getting checked in." He said. I closed my eyes knowing that's just more blackness that I am living with. Riley nudged me. "We're landing punkin." He said. I nodded. I felt the plane land. Once it was completely stopped Riley unbuckled his seatbelt before mine. "Come on." He said. I took Barrow's harness in my right hand and his in my left. We walked to the baggage claim him leading the way.

Then walked out. He called a cab. Then helped me in. He got in next to me with Barrow in the floorboard. He told the driver where to go. "We're here Punkin." He said. He took my hand and helped me out. I took Barrow's harness while he got our bags. He then took my hand again leading the way. Automatic doors opened. And a female voice greeted us. Riley dropped my hand. Even though I felt lost I knew he was still beside me. Barrow stopped me once we reached what I was assuming was the front desk.

"Becky Vearwood." Riley said. "Alright follow me." She said. Barrow pulled me forward following the nurse. I could tell Riley was behind me, because of his boots hitting the tile flooring. "Right in here." She said. Barrow turned right. I let him lead me in. "You can just set the bags on the chair. Another nurse will be in shortly to check Becky's eyes." She said.

I found a bed and sat down on it. Barrow laid down at my feet. "Nervous punkin?" He asked. I nodded. "Yeah." I said. "Don't worry. Your going to be fine. We've made it this far." He said. The door opened. "Hello I'm here to take Becky for her eye exam." A different female voice said. I stood up. Barrow stood also. "Please come with me. Sir you may join if you want to." She said.

Barrow led me down the hall? to the exam room. "Please sit down." She said. I sat down in a chair and let Barrow go. I heard him walk away from me. Fear filled me. I shifted in the chair. "He's right by me punkin." I heard Riley say from somewhere in front of me. "Could you please take your sunglasses off?" The female asked. I took them off. "Could you tell me what the doctor said when this happened?" She asked.

"My eyes were severely damaged when they last checked them. It's been about a year since the accident happened and they haven't set up anything to check and see if there was any way to recover most of my eyesight." I said. I felt something metal against my head. "I'm checking the back of the eye to see if there was any damage to the nerves." She said before moving to the other side.

I sat still for a few more minutes. "Eyes to the ceiling." She said.

New York City
Hospital
Riley

I watched as she looked up. Then looked down and to the sides. Barrow laid by my booted feet as she was being examined. "Alright your done. The results should be in within two hours." The nurse said. I sent Barrow over to get her. The miniature horse is dog ugly but is great with her and was the top of his class. I watched as he nudged her and led her back over to me. "Lead on." I told him.

He started walking out following the nurse. I followed behind them. Once we got to the room I sat down across from her. I did shave my face and head last night so I wouldn't look like a caveman. "Punkin would you like something to eat?" I asked. She nodded. "Yeah." She said. "Would you like to go to the cafeteria with me?" I asked. She nodded. I stood up as she did. I opened the door for her and held it until they both were out.

It was about eleven thirty at night. That nap on the plane definitely helped out. We found the cafeteria and I fixed her a plate along with mine. Luckily I packed Barrow's food in my bag. I paid for the food before we sat down at a table in the deserted eating area. I watched as she ate the food trying her best to find where it was on her plate. 

She finally gave up and set her utensil down on the table. "Would you like some help punkin?" I asked her, hoping she'd say yes. She lifted her head to face me. "I'm not hungry anymore." She said before scooting the plate away and laying her head on the table. I moved my chair to sit right beside her. "I can't let you go hungry especially if you are going to be having the surgery tomorrow or possibly in a few hours." I told her softly. 

She lifted her head off the table. "I'll help you if you only want me to." I said before kissing her temple.