Chapter:15

New York City 

Hospital

Becky

I sat on my bed waiting for a nurse or a doctor to come in. I could hear Riley almost quietly pacing the floor between the beds. His boots scuffing the floor and the toe were the only sound in the room. The door suddenly opened. I could tell Riley stopped pacing because I couldn't here the sound of his booted feet anymore. "Good early morning." A male voice said. "I took a look at the eye exam myself and saw significant damage to the optic nerves in both eyes. It seems they both were pinched when the injury took place. The nerve will need to be repaired in order for you to get you vision back. Once you found out you were blind I would have waited six months before going to see the eye doctor about it. Then went from there." The doctor said. 

"So what does that mean?" Riley asked the doctor. "She may be able to see if we repair the nerves. It will take a few hours but I assure you that we will try our best to fix both nerves in two separate surgeries though." The doctor said. "When can she have the first one?" Riley asked. "In thirty minutes. That's long enough for her to be ready and the anesthesia to kick in. A nurse will be here shortly with a gown and the medicine." He said before I heard the door close. Does that mean?" I started. "Yes you might be able to see. Even though it will take more than one surgery, I'm sure you'll do fine. The lord definitely knew you were going to have this opportunity." Riley said hugging me from behind. 

***********************************************************************************************

New York City

Hospital

Riley 

I watched as Becky became tired with the help of the anesthesia. She had the surgery gown on sitting up on her bed. I leaned against the wall until she was about to fall off the bed. I caught her with one quick motion and laid her back on the bed. I took her sunglasses off and hooked them on my shirt pocket. "Riley?" 

"Yes punkin?" I asked her. "Are you going to be here when I get out?" She asked. "Of course. I may take Barrow for a walk around the hospital to let him stretch his legs, but I'll never leave you here with strange people." I told her. She nodded before falling asleep. The heart monitor and IV were already there hooked up to her for surgery. 

At exactly thirty minutes from when the nurse left a group of them came in and wheeled her out for the surgery. I took Barrow's harness off him and clipped a dog leash to his halter. I led him outside so he could do his business. Then around the entire building at a leisurely pace praying that she'd make it out better than she went in. Once I reached the front doors again I continued to walk him through the gift shop looking at all the stuffed animals and such. 

I saw something that really caught my eye. I walked over to take a closer look. It was a fame with encouraging phrases etched into the frame. I got it along with a stuffed animal and went up to the room to feed Barrow. He happily munched on the grain mixture as I read all of the messages on the frame. This is taking a while. I decided to take Barrow with me to see central park then took him back. She won't be out for another hour and then thirty minutes after that. 

I sat there and drifted off to sleep without aware.