Chapter:16

New York City
Hospital
Becky

The beeping of a monitor brought me out of my sleep. All I remember hearing was Riley telling me he'd be in the room when I woke up. I lifted my left hand up to my eyes. My right arm still had the IV hooked in. I felt a patch over my left eye and my right eye open. "Hey don't touch your eyes. The right could get infected before they do the surgery tomorrow." I heard Riley tell me. "How long did the doctor say until i start noticing a difference?" I asked him. "A few days. It could be tomorrow or any of the days following." He said as the bed lowered.

I sat up in the bed trying to find out where he was sitting. His hand clasped mine. "Would you like to read?" He asked. I nodded. He stood up and walked somewhere. His boots were the only thing I heard resonating on the tile floor. The clack clack of his boots came back over to where I was. He took my hand once again and I felt the leather cover touch my hand. I traced over the front realizing it was my bible. I found my place and continued to read. I scooted over letting him lay down next to me.

He put an arm behind me letting me rest my head on his shoulder. I heard a page flip. He was reading also. I closed the eye I knew wasn't covered and relaxed into his hold. My body fit perfectly next to his. His lips touched the side of my forehead slightly like a butterfly was brushing by. I sighed turning my head to the crook of his neck. He kissed my forehead once more.

***********************************

In a few hours the left patch is coming off so they could examine my left eye. Then tomorrow is my right eye. Its been two weeks since the surgery. I noticed light coming from my left eye yesterday. Riley and I went down the hall. My eyes double patched. Once at the examination room I sat down in a chair waiting for the patch to be removed.

"Alright I'm going to slowly pull the patch off. You tell me if you see anything." The nurse said. As the patch was slowly peeled off light came through. Boots off to my right said that Riley was near the chair. Once it was off everything was blurry. "Can you see anything?" He asked.

"Everything is blurry." I said. "Can you see light?" The nurse asked. "Yeah." I said. "You'll probably need glasses for the first few months while your eyes continue to heal. Your vision should slowly go back to normal by the end of twelve months." She said. I nodded. She examined my eye closer by taking
x-rays of it.

"The doctor will be at your room once they've gone over the x-rays." She said letting me up. I nodded and stood up. Riley held his hand out for me to take. I could see it but it too was blurred. I took it and he led me out of the room. "Can't wait to hear the news tomorrow." He said. "Same here." I said. He put his arm around me and kissed my temple.

"Would you like to go eat?" He asked. I laid my head on his shoulder as I nodded. We walked silently to the cafeteria. He paid for our lunch and found us a table. I could barely see the food on my plate as I tried to eat. "Things look different?" He asked. I nodded. "Yeah but I'm going to have to get use to this until I can fully see." I said.

Once we were done eating he led me back to the room. I sat down on the bed and laid down. "Are you nervous about tomorrow?" He asked. "Yeah." I answered. "Remember what I told you when we first go here?" He asked. I nodded. "Let it be God's will for you to see once again and if your vision gets worse than it was his will for you to of been blind for however long he wanted you to be." He said coming up behind me. I felt one of his arms drape over me before I was pulled into his chest.

"Get some sleep while they review the exam. I'll wake you when they come in." He said before kissing my cheek. I rolled over in his arms and buried my head in the crook of his neck.