Chapter 8 ♕ Striking a Deal

Feeling as if a huge burden was lifted off of her shoulders, Valeriana smiled and looked ahead. She didn't bother hiding the fact that she felt greatly comforted by the words of advice her companions gave her—mostly Corvan—and her cheerfulness was infectious that the others felt it as well.

The walk through the path in the shadowy forest provided a relaxing atmosphere. It felt more like a midnight rendezvous between a very . . . unusual group of friends rather than a mission they've been sent out to do.

"Hey. Why is hearing a Celestial Beast not a small thing?" She asked.

Elfre took the liberty of answering her question. "Because not a lot of people can do it." She stated. "You have to have a special connection to them in order to be able to hear their words. They communicate through an entirely different way. Technically, it's not even you who's talking to Avaro, but your soul."

"My soul?" She asked.

"Does that answer your question?"

"Yeah." She scratched her head. "I guess."

"Now then." Charles started. "Since I suppose that all our other problems were smoothed out, I think it's time to discuss about the reason why we originally came here, don't you think?"

"Right. The matter's been waiting to be solved." Raziel agreed.

"Lord Lienhard," Charles began, politely addressing the man with all the dignity he could muster. "We have managed to beat you in your little game. As promised, we will discuss of the matter about you fortifying the barrier around the academy."

The sound of an owl echoed faintly in the background, followed by the sound of heavily flapping wings. Corvan tilted his head to the side ever so slightly, his emerald green eyes narrowing at a faint sound that everyone else seemed to have failed to notice.

"I may very well consider it." The man answered. "But I believe those responsibilities are supposed to be my brother's."

"In respect to His Majesty, we have already consulted him regarding the matter before acting." Charles said.

"I didn't know we did."

"It'll be a complete, utter, disrespect to act out without informing the king." Charles scolded. "Do mind your manners, Keelan."

"When did we do that anyway?" Zevlin asked.

The fourth-ranker growled. "You fools. Have you already forgotten? You weren't listening, were you?"

"Oh. It must've slipped from my mind." The older of the twin muttered thoughtfully.

"Just admit that you weren't paying attention at all."

"Alright! Sorry!"

Once they backed down, Charles continued. "His Majesty confirmed of his . . . incapability of filling the role currently. And his son, Prince Bertram as well, is currently unavailable due to certain conditions. We request that you step in as per your obligations as a member of the royal family."

"See? I told you this business was related to me being a member of the royal family." He pointed out. "I really didn't want to have these responsibilities."

"We know that you desire to live the life of a carefree man. Just grant us this one request and we shall leave you alone to your heart's desires." Charles offered.

He grumbled something incoherent before turning to the fifth-ranker and sighing. "Let's say I help you. What do I get in return?"

The members of the circle exchanged glances except for Charles, who kept his eyes trained straight to the man's.