Chapter 16 ♕ The Blessing of the Sea

Valeriana didn't feel comfortable submerging herself in salty water for three reasons. The first one was because she probably became traumatized from the different incidents involving water, second was that she had enough of drowning for the day, and third, she couldn't trust the undines.

Calder volunteered to take her as close as the lone rock sitting somewhere near the coast where it was a sure thing for the passing ship to see her if ever.

When she was about to dive—with great persuasion from her saviors—into the water, however, she saw her reflection on the surface.

She was more than amazed of Clyte's ability to weave her hair into something so beautiful and intricate. What else shocked her was the fact that the little undine girl somehow managed to curl her naturally straight hair artfully, braiding the sides before it ended up being twisted in a loose chignon.

When she tried to question Clyte, she was suddenly pulled underwater that she barely had anytime to breathe. She couldn't help but think if this was it, but it didn't seem that way. Calder dragged her with him towards somewhere, the dolphins swimming on either side in fluid motions.

The water was cold as they passed though the wide opening of the cave mouth that led outside. Swimming fishes occasionally appeared and swam by them with their little fins. Although it was somehow dark and scary considering the lack of proper lighting, it was beautiful.

They surfaced a few moments later, Valeriana hanging on to Calder for support as she took in a few gulps of air desperately. Her legs were alternately swaying underwater contrary to Calder's tail's movements.

Valeriana started coughing, rubbing her face as stray bits of her hair stuck to her skin. She was worried about her hair, now that it was wet. It also felt a lot heavier that it could almost pass off as a big chunk of rock. Chit and Chat circled them joyfully, leaping from the water and spinning in the air once or twice before landing back down with a splash.

"Easy there now, Val." Said Calder, holding her around the shoulder that helped keep her afloat. "We don't want you going under. Literally."

She nodded a bit too fast to look calm and collected. Nevertheless, she was more than shaken. "Y-yes, sure."

"You seem to not like being in water." Calder observed as he started moving.

"N-not really." She squeaked.

"Why? Being in water is fun!" He told her. One of the dolphins pushed him forward playfully while the other slipped under his arms. "Naughty fish-ball." He tapped the dolphin on the nose before chuckling and letting it swim off again.

"Coming from an undine, I'm sure it is." She muttered, clinging to his muscled biceps as if she would lose her life if she let go.

"Alright." He said, seeming unaffected by her sarcastic remark. "Tell me why. Is it because of what happened before?"

"Yeah. And because this isn't exactly the first time I was attacked by a demon and fell into the water. Now, I'm kinda traumatized." She admitted, and glared at Calder as well. "Not to mention you guys keep scaring me . . ."

"Is that so?" He mused, looking up towards the sky while deep in his thoughts. "Well, we can't help it with the way you react—it's just funny. Then, how about this?" Calder halted and looked into the girl's eyes with a mischievous grin. "To make you afraid of water no longer, I'll give you the Blessing of the Sea."

"The Blessing of the Sea?" She tilted her head to the side and stared at him inquiringly.

Calder leaned forward, invading the gap between him and Valeriana. The girl was more than confused by the motive behind his actions until a split second later that she realized what he was up to.