Chapter 14 ♕ The Guardians of the Seas

Inwardly, Valeriana felt glad to have her bracelet back. Outwardly, pain was evident on her bleeding form. Her own blood seeped through her wound, clouding the waters in red along with her honey-golden hair curling wildly around her sinking form.

And this is where it's all true—there is loss in stupidity and death in a fool.

Valeriana tried to endure the mild sting of salt in her eyes, the suffocating water surrounding her ruthlessly. This sensation felt so familiar—but she knew why. This wasn't the first time she was drowning.

She barely had any strength to swim up towards the surface as blood was speedily leaking from her body. Yet, she put all of her remaining energy in holding her bracelet tightly as she held her breath and stared at the faint rippled figure of the sun shining vigorously directly above her.

Her vision gradually dimmed and she felt herself slowly slipping out of consciousness. Tiredly, she released the last supply of air she breathed in and watched as it escaped rapidly in numerous bubbles racing towards the surface.

What's up with water around here? She thought weakly, feeling like all it ever brought was trouble for her. She probably just developed hydrophobia.

Something moved under the water, the soft sound of significantly large body swimming towards her. Valeriana didn't know if she was hallucinating or if it was only a small fish exaggerated only by her paranoid mind.

What if it really was a shark?

She felt something grab her around the waist and drag her towards it. The hands were scaly somewhat and felt unusually slippery, but was warm nonetheless.

She dragged her gaze lazily towards the blurry figure that swam beside her, opening her mouth in an attempt to speak.

'Do not talk.' Said a voice inside her head. 'It will not work.'

She felt like asking, but the darkness consumed her entirely and she blacked out.

#

A chorus of laughter and mischievous giggling pulled Valeriana out of her unconsciousness. There was also something tickling the soles of her feet that she could not help but twitch from the sensation. Her unfocused vision landed on two figures sitting in front of her, their voices hushed as they talked. The pain was barely even there, but still present.

"Sshhh." Shushed someone. "You woke her, see?"

"But it's true! Look, aren't these weird?" The other replied, at the same time something poked her toes. "This is my second time seeing it, but they really look strange."

"Yeah, yeah. I get that."

It smelled like the ocean. There was a faint echo of rolling waters along with a pleasing singing voice that sounded utterly enchanting as it bounced off the walls. Valeriana blinked for a few times, trying to clear her vision until she was able to get a good look on whatever or whoever was in front of her.

The girl's eyes widened as it landed on the two girls. "Ah!" She screamed.

"Clyte, Elvira." A gentle voice called out. "Where are your manners?"

The two girls turned away from Valeriana, their small bodies twisting to look at the source of the voice. "We're sorry, Diana!" They exclaimed in unison.

Valeriana blinked.

Their ears were webbed and colored scales covered the fleshy portion under the fullness of their cheeks in the shape of a triangle. Their upper body was very human-like, their skin fair and creamy until it ended around their waist line where a layer of shiny and lustrous scales thickened and two fins protruded out on each side further down. The place where their legs were supposed to be had been taken by a long fishtail.