Chapter 23 ♕ The City of Loquin (pt. 3)

As Valeriana made up her resolve, she took a step forward with a determined look on her face. Now, the next thing she had to do was think about how she was going to put her plan into action—but first she had to think of a plan.

Having been immersed into deep thought the last minute, Valeriana did not expect the sudden feeling that came over her.

She stopped, startled.

It was as though a ton of bricks fell on her, followed by a cold pail of water. The suddenness took her aback, causing her expression to twist into a look of shock.

"Ah . . ." She gasped, unbelievable chills coming over her. Her heart began pounding as well, its pace erratic.

"Valeriana?"

"How weird." She muttered.

Tamara stopped beside her, clearly worried. "Something wrong?"

"It suddenly became . . . stronger?"

"What stronger?"

"I don't know how I'm doing this, but this is a demon's presence. I've been sensing it since we came through the tunnel, but it got stronger."

"What do you feel?"

"Not too different from what you guys are having." She muttered.

"Not too different?" Tamara repeated. "You know you're more sensitive than the rest of us here. We can't feel what you can feel. So tell us, what is it?"

Instead of answering, Valeriana walked towards one of the blooming trees, feeling compelled to do so. Her attraction toward it resembled a pull from a magnet.

She felt the eyes of her comrades on her as she reached out towards it, letting the tips of her gloved fingers trace the rough bark. In comparison to the 'sunny' weather, the tree felt so cold and icy despite the fact that she wasn't touching it with her bare skin.

"It's cold." She said. "Almost like ice."

"Really?" Keelan made his way towards her and touched it as well. "You're right."

She looked around, as she felt the creepy sensation of eyes watching her every move. Her head snapped towards the direction of where she felt it coming from, her suspicion rising. "It's not like you guys haven't noticed this yet since it's a bit too obvious—something's wrong." She said.

Keelan suddenly turned serious, shedding his childish self. "The temperature of this tree is far too cold for the current weather."

"Is this city icy every day? For the whole year 'round?"

This time, it was Courtney who stepped in. "Four degrees celsius, sixty percent precipitation and forty percent humidity. Wind is generally ten kilometers per hour." She answered, making Valeriana's jaw drop. "At least, the last time I visited here."

"And you knew all of that in one glance?"

"No. I checked the weather report." She said.

"Oh."

There was an awkward pause.

"You guys have weather reports?"

"We do."

Well, that was a good way to go to make a conversation with a former enemy. Valeriana could feel the reluctance of having a 'friendly' interaction coming from both of them, so, feeling uncomfortable herself, she decided to change the topic.

"It's not the country which is having identity crisis." Corvan walked over to them and bent down, poking the dirt with his finger. Crumbs of soil clung to his skin, and he brushed his thumb and forefinger together, examining it. "Someone's manipulating the weather around the city."