Drug Abuse

By AmandaTayteTait

When we speak of substance abuse or drug abuse many people quickly think of a generation of reckless teenagers with nothing better to do than to get high or find happiness within a bottle. But are drugs really the problem or is this another effect of living in generation that's clouded by shame and pain were many are forced to find solace at the bottom of a bottle?

'Many people don't understand why or how other people become addicted to drugs. They may mistakenly think that those who use drugs lack moral principles or willpower and that they could stop their drug use simply by choosing to. In reality, drug addiction is a complex disease, and quitting usually takes more than good intentions or a strong will. Drugs change the brain in ways that make quitting hard, even for those who want to.'

In 2010 about 5% of people (230 million) used an illicit substance.Of these 27 million have high-risk drug use otherwise known as recurrent drug use causing harm to their health, psychological problems, or social problems or puts them at risk of those dangers. In 2013 drug use disorders resulted in 127,000 deaths up from 53,000 in 1990. The highest number of deaths are from at 51,000. Cocaine use disorder resulted in 4,300 deaths and amphetamine use disorder resulted in 3,800 deaths. Alcohol use disorders resulted in an additional 139,000 deaths.

Why do people use drugs?

The reasons people use drugs vary widely from recreational reasons, to using drugs as an escape and some even as a cry for help. For many people, risky behaviors that lead to drug abuse addiction start during early adolescence. Most of these children do not progress in their drug use, but the ones who do are often associated with one or more risk factors for drug abuse, including:

Aggressive behavior. Inadequate parental supervision. Easy access to drugs. Living at or below the poverty level.

If a child is exposed to several of these risk factors, there is a greater likelihood that he will abuse drugs later in life.

Some people begin abusing drugs during adulthood despite the lack of risk factors. In many cases, the abuse starts with a simple prescription by a physician for a legitimate medical purpose. There are quite a few drugs, especially prescription pain relievers, that your body builds up a tolerance to. You then require more and more of the drug to achieve the same effect, which can lead to abuse as well as physical and psychological addiction.

What happens to the brain when a person takes drugs?

Most drugs affect the brain's "reward circuit" by flooding it with the chemical messenger dopamine. This reward system controls the body's ability to feel pleasure and motivates a person to repeat behaviors needed to thrive, such as eating and spending time with loved ones. This overstimulation of the reward circuit causes the intensely pleasurable "high" that can lead people to take a drug again and again.