Chapter 4

Not edited!

Joclyn's POV:

   I woke up with cold air and rain coming into my room through the broken window. The flimsy cardboard was long gone after the disastrous thunderstorm last night. Rain and depressing clouds still lingered.

   I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and slowly got out of bed. A shiver went through me when my bare feet touched the cold wooden floor. I got a ripped up cereal box and stuck it into the window to stop any more rain and cold air from getting inside.

   Looking into the mirror, I saw all of my imperfections. Maybe that's why my parents left me. I was probably revolting to them and they couldn't stand another second with me. Maybe all of the hugs, kisses, and 'I love you's were all fake and part of their charade to make me think that they liked me.

   Shaking out of my horrible thoughts, I turned to my broken closet and got out a ripping hoodie, a size too small t-shirt, my undergarments, and faded jeans. I was beyond lucky to have at least this rather than to lose my dignity by roaming around naked.

   I got my raggedy towel and opened my creaky door to head to the bathroom. Thank goodness that it was only 2 doors down and not too far away from my bedroom. I was the only one who used this bathroom, since everyone else had their own bathrooms connected to their rooms. My bathroom had a shower that only had cold water, a toilet that wouldn't always flush, and a sink with a broken faucet. Overall, it was better than nothing.

   I locked the bathroom door and turned on the lights which consisted of one lightbulb which was starting to flicker. Now looking at it, this bathroom looked like a room from a horror movie. Where the main character turns on the shower only to discover that it's blood instead of water and when she turns around the killer is right behind her.

   Wait, why am I thinking of this?

   I brushed my teeth with mint tasting toothpaste which actually burns my mouth instead of cleaning it, but it keeps my breath smelling nice and not like a skunk. After brushing my teeth, I took a freezing shower. Oh how I wish for a nice hot shower for once. Looking into the mirror one more time I noticed faint scar in my neck.

   After getting dressed, I rushed downstairs and made pancakes for everyone. It was my job. Make breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but get nothing in return. Which explains my close to bone skinny body. That's what 13 years of not getting the right food does to you.

   I only got to drink one glass of water and that was it till 10:00 pm. Sometimes he would even forget about that and I wouldn't eat anything for 3-4 days. After setting the table, I slipped on my ripped sneakers I got for $2 at a thrift store and headed outside. Looking up, I was met with clouds dark as night and fat raindrops coming down below.

   Internally, I groaned knowing I would get sick with the rain and my wet hair. I threw on my hoodie and trekked to school.

   When I finally reached my high school, I was drenched in rain water. Rushing to the bathroom, I tried to dry myself the best I can, but even after that, I was shaking to my bones. I sighed and shakily walked to my locker, knowing I was going to get bullied about this, but surprisingly no one noticed me. They were all talking about new students joining this school. I was never one to like gossip, but I couldn't help wonder if they were talking about Grayson.

   Ignoring everyone else again, I got all of my books for science. I loved science, but I didn't like the teacher. Ms. Dewter was a single, 40 year old who was always looking for a male to seduce. It was plain disgusting when she did that to my fellow peers. She acted like a person which I dare not say. I was never a cursing person even when I was angry or stressed.