Chapter 10

GET THOSE COVERS IN PLEEASE!!!! AND I'M SOOO HAPPY!!! 100 VOTES!!! That cray cray 😜!

Joclyn's POV

I woke up in my own pool of dried up blood. I wasn't surprised that no one had the curtesy to at least move me into a comfortable spot. Pins and needles made their was up and down my legs and arms, forcing me to get up from my tangled form.

Whatever remaining blood I have, rushed to my head making the room sway and make me grip the rugged brown sofa. My legs quivered like a newborn fawn walking for the first time. I almost gagged when I saw my torn up skin and the dark blood coating the wooden floor.

After much difficulty, I made my way upstairs to my "room" to clean my leaking wounds. My lips opened in a silent scream when I poured alcohol onto my back, but knew it was necessary to stop any infections. The cold alcohol cascaded down my back and I let out a breath of relief when the burning lessened. I quickly bandaged up my torso and proceeded to tend my other wounds. Then, I brushed my teeth till they was no sign of blood.

Finished with my task, I limped down the stairs to clean up the bloody mess in the living room. I became suspicious when I heard men talking fervently to each other behind Jeffery's office door. Curiously, I leaned my head against the polished door and tried my best to hear what was happening.

"We're going to have to leave quickly if we want to escape Grayson's wrath." One man said. My eyes widened at Grayson's name being said and my confusion increased. All of a sudden, there was so much ruckus, I didn't understand what anyone was saying.

"Quiet down!" Boomed Bradley's voice. I shivered even though that command wasn't towards me.

"I know we lost the gun fight and we all are injured. We are going to move," this started an uprising of murmurs, "Quiet! We will heal from our injuries and strike back ten times worst. I've talked to some gangs who are rivaling against Grayson's gang and we agreed that we need to work together if we need to defeat them. They aren't called the biggest and the cruelest gang for no reason. We just need to find one weakness and keep targeting at it."

"Lets go for the women. They're a fine treat," someone said. Snickers filled the air. I didn't wait for the respond and rushed to quickly cleaned up my mess. After an hour I had cleaned the whole downstairs. No one had gotten in or out of the room. Wiping my hands on a dish cloth, I realized I had enough time to go to the library and pick out some books for an essay I had to do in social studies.

I rushed upstairs and quickly showered, changed my bandages, and gathered all of my materials I needed and was out the door. I shivered in the frigid air. It was getting closer and closer to winter and I didn't have any warm clothing. I put it on the back of my mind and trekked to the local library.

Relishing the warm air and the scent of old books, I made a beeline towards the nonfiction section. I gathered all of the books I could find on the gold rush and got straight to work. My back stung when I sat in my chair, but I forced myself to keep the tears in. I read through all of the books and continued my research on the computer looking for any newspaper articles and documentaries. I had just finished my rough draft when I noticed the time. Gathering my materials, I went back to put the books in the right places.

   I scanned the page to see if I was missing any information when I bumped into a hard chest

I scanned the page to see if I was missing any information when I bumped into a hard chest. This time I knew it wasn't a wall because a) it was warm b) I was immediately engulfed in a musky smell and c) walls don't give me sparks and don't have arms. Looking up, I blushed beet red seeing Grayson staring down at me with his muscular arms fastened around my waist. I would've been flustered if only his hand wasn't touching my tender wound, but sadly it was. I flinched away and he immediately let go. He opened his mouth to say something, but I ran away.

   I dropped the book on the nearest table and walked as quickly as I could to the entrance. Grayson was quickly approaching me so I made a dash for it and was out in no time. Once outside, I sprinted as fast as I could back to the orphanage. When I was certain I had lost him, I slowed to a walk and continued the way back.

When I reached the orphanage I was surprised to see a 'for sale' sign sticking out a sore thumb in the yellowish grass. I quickly walked up the stairs to see what the commotion was about. Turning the doorknob, I saw almost everyone either carrying a cardboard box or putting things in one. Someone grabbed my wrist in a vice grip and turned me around forcefully. I was met with the dark brown eyes of John.

   "Pack your stuff," he spit." We're moving."

Welp got that done FINALLY. I was having a huge brain fart and couldn't think of anything. Please please please get me covers for my book. Check my other book out too. It's called 'Behind the Haze'. I'm working on it. This chapter is short. I know, but bare with me.

Vote!

Comment!

Breathe! (Not mandatory)

Share!

Follow!

Love all of you guys!!!!